molly

I use it in one rifle exclusively and sometimes in other rifles.

In one instance (granted not the rule) I got better accuracy with the moly bullets than non moly bullets.

Molly will deposit on your lands and groves and thereby create an enviromnent of less friction, resulting in longer barrel life. It may also slow your fps a just a bit. Many bench rest shooters use it, because they shoot thousands of rounds and they want to extend barrel life.

The draw back of molly is that it tends to attract moisture, which is a bad thing, especially if you are a hunter and hunt in damp weather. Moisture on the lands and groves is a bad thing, rust, etc. It may even collect in your gun safe without proper moisture control, such as a Golden Rod.

After shooting with molly coated bullets, it can be a challenge to remove the residual molly from your barrel. You will likely have to use a tight fitting swab wrapped around a slightly undersized bore brush and go after it with some JB bore cleaner, or other similiar barrel abrasive.

If you don't plan on shooting thousands of rounds through your barrel like a competitive bench rest shooter, i'd stay away from it.

Regards,

My experience is quite different than that described by Matt. I have shot many thousands of rounds from my varmint rifles using moly bullets exclusively.

1. Moly does not stick to moly and does not build up. A good moly coating will allow you to shoot longer strings with less bore cleaning but it will NOT let you ignore cleaning. You must be reasonable.

2. If moly attracts mosture you sure couldn't tell by any of my rifles. No rust - No problems. If your barrel is carbon steel rather than stainless steel you may want to run an oiled patch down the bore before storing your rifle, but that is just precautionary. I do it with my SS barreled rifles even though it has never proved to be necessary.

IMO, moly has a place in high volume rifles (like varmint rifles) In biggame rifles or firearms that are just not shot very much I see no advantage to using moly.

Moly use is probably one of the most controversial topics on the net. Some guys swear at it while others swear by it. Other than getting some black finger tips I have never seen a down side to moly.

Just my 2 cents

I agree with charlie,in my varmint rifle its nothing but moly...in my hunting rigs I go naked(the bullets not me).

Good luck,
Fuzzy :grin:

while it is true that molly is a little labor intesive for cleaning , the benefits of higher velocities far outweigh the drawbacks of using a little more patches during cleaning. I've been using molly coated bullets for seven years and will continue to use them in the future

According to the Lyman manual, moly reduces pressure 3 percent while reducing velocity 1 to 2 percent. So, for a given pressure, moly increases velocity.
IMHO, if you are planning on putting in excess of 1000 rounds thru a barrel, use moly.

Splain to me this... If Moly decreases pressure 3 percent while reducing velocity 1 to 2 percent, where does it increase velocity for any pressure? :?

Been using them on all my Varmint rifle and like it a lot. You can shoot lots of rounds without cleaning the rifle. Accuracy is also enchance when moly were used, at least on my rifle.

OOOOOHH! :shock: Thank you. I honestly didn't understand that, and was afraid you would think I was being a smartellick for asking. :oops:
But if velocity is a product of the pressure generated behind the projectile as it travels down the tube, if you increase the charge, and obtain the same pressure, what causes the increase in velocity? I promise, I am only trying to learn.
Thanks
JD

There are no free rides in the world of pressure and velocity. The only advantage to moly is less frequent cleaning and that can be rifle specific. You have to burn more powder to equal the velocity of the rounds that are not moly coated, so your cost of loading is increasing. I have two rifles that shoot moly coated bullets. I don't bother with it except for those two rounds.Rick.

I have been useing molly since break in on both my match,& hunting rifles.Both have several thousand rounds through them,& aside from the cleaning issues discussed before,both rifles are still as accurate as when they were new.I'll never stop useing it.

Are the Combined Technology bullets Moly coated, or are they black just to look cool? Marketing you know....??

They say their bullets are coated with some stuff they call 'Lubalox'. And I honestly don't know what they are intending for results.

Back