Montana Grizzly Bear Advisory Council - Public Comments

6mm Remington

Ammo Smith
Feb 27, 2006
http://fwp.mt.gov/fishAndWildlife/manag ... ments.html

The Governor Steve Bullock of Montana assembled a Grizzly Bear Advisory Council a while back. These folks have meetings across the state, and they invite the public to attend and have their say in how they feel grizzly bears in Montana should be managed, and whether they should be taken off the Endangered Species list or not. This group consists of I believe roughly 16 people from diverse backgrounds. This does include a few of the folks who are associated with anti-hunting and radical conservation organizations.

I attended one meeting in Missoula, and I tried to ask a couple of questions and was shut down by the person with FWP who was leading the meeting. In case you were wondering what questions I asked of the Council are as follows: 1.) How many of you on the council are outdoors folks who hunt, and who typically hunt at least a few days each year? 2.) How many of you on the Council would like to see hunting as one of the management tools used if the Grizzly Bear is delisted? 3.) If hunting does become a part of the management of the bears and their population, how many of you on the Council would apply for a permit to hunt one of these amazing animals? I was told that it was too early in the process to consider questions like that. Now they had been having these meetings for a few months by the time of the meeting I attended. I felt that there was no reason that each member of this Council could not answer them. I was just wanting to get an idea of what the make-up of this Council was and what the opinions of the members on this subject was. I was not impressed.

I am a member of a couple different Sportsmans groups in Montana and through that membership, the members were advised that the anti-hunting groups across the United States have solicited their members to send thousands of comments to the Grizzly Bear Advisory Council, in an attempt to prevent any hunting of the bears.

Montana is still working on getting the Grizzly Bear delisted from the Endangered Species list. I feel that hunting should be a part of that management tool and that when they are delisted that a very limited number of permits should be allotted as part of this to control populations in Montana.

You don't have to agree with me as we each can make our own minds up on this issue. No matter what side of the fence you are on, I would hope that as many of you folks as possible write in comments to the Council on this matter. If we do not voice our opinion and are heard, then we don't have any right to complain if this doesn't go the way in which we hoped it would.

One of my fears is that Governor Steve Bullock, who has termed out this year, might make some decisions before he leaves office on what happens to the Grizzly Bears in our State, which may prove difficult if not impossible to change. I will give an example why I'm afraid something like that might happen. I believe it was last year that a couple different groups in Montana wanted to have something put in the Constitution of Montana that Trapping would be an activity to be preserved in our state as a guaranteed right as Hunting and Fishing currently are. He vetoed that piece of legislation to make that happen!

I urge all of you to make comments as you feel called to do. You DO NOT have to be a citizen of Montana to comment on this either. On the top of the page is the direct connection to the link with Montana Fish, Wildlife, & Parks. Thanks for hearing me out.

David

Great post David. I've never been a trapper, but have hunted since I was a child.

Our hunting heritage is under attack in this nation, and around the world.

We need to be active in educating non-hunters, so that they don't become anti-hunters. There's a huge difference.

It's entirely possible in many areas for hunting to be simply made illegal, by popular vote.

Re the grizzlies - many folks who live within a couple of hundred miles of Yellowstone have noted an increasing presence of the great bears. Some of this is fine, probably even good. But this isn't 1806 anymore. Lewis & Clark encountered grizzlies long ago in a much earlier version of America.

I'd suspect that the majority here on this forum understand the use of hunting as a management tool.

So - we need to take our message outside of the forum. To places where we will meet with disagreement. To people who've never considered the idea of hunting as wildlife management.

Thank you. Guy

David, Good for you and dont give up. look for publications and cable news broadcasters who are sympathetic to your point of view and ask them to help you. Continue to go to every meeting and continue to ask the same questions and some reporters will find you. Always present your facts and even yourself well AND stay on message.

I could write a 10 page post about this subject---===ban in B.C., =======the attempt to ban in The Yukon, ----------- not increasing hunt numbers in The Yukon--------, the fight to make people believe the Polar Bear numbers are increasing and that it is o.k. to continue hunting them.--------although we have proven our point with Moose in the east, sell more hunts, reduces Moose on the highways , brings in revenue---aaagggghhh!!!
this is not rocket science ! Sorry for the rant

Thankful Otter":2p04ovs0 said:
David, Good for you and dont give up. look for publications and cable news broadcasters who are sympathetic to your point of view and ask them to help you. Continue to go to every meeting and continue to ask the same questions and some reporters will find you. Always present your facts and even yourself well AND stay on message.

I could write a 10 page post about this subject---===ban in B.C., =======the attempt to ban in The Yukon, ----------- not increasing hunt numbers in The Yukon--------, the fight to make people believe the Polar Bear numbers are increasing and that it is o.k. to continue hunting them.--------although we have proven our point with Moose in the east, sell more hunts, reduces Moose on the highways , brings in revenue---aaagggghhh!!!
this is not rocket science ! Sorry for the rant

You are most welcome to rant away ANY TIME! With your experience and background I hope that in your extremely busy schedule that you might make a few comments to the site. What you have to say on this particular matter trumps any input I have by a long shot! Like I said you do not have to be a resident of Montana and I imagine that there are many people who do not even live in the USA are putting in their two cents worth, so please consider it. I don't see where it only has to be USA residents to make comments.

David

And to just add a little to the bear situation here in Montana. Today i read the weekly bulletin i get from the MT FWP and just this week they have euthanized 2 young grizzly males, in different areas, for killing calves.

Slimfinn":x6cgeceq said:
And to just add a little to the bear situation here in Montana. Today i read the weekly bulletin i get from the MT FWP and just this week they have euthanized 2 young grizzly males, in different areas, for killing calves.
And unfortunately a couple weeks ago a hiker surprised a sow with three cubs. She attacks the hiker and bit him. He shot her with pistol to stop the attack. They later found the sow and determined that she would not survive her injuries so they put her down. Her cubs were rounded up to be taken care of in an animal sanctuary until they get big enough to where they will likely go to a zoo.

GREAT NEWS TO REPORT: Thanks to all that made comments on this issue! There was a livestream meeting yesterday and the Governor's Grizzly Bear Advisory Council voted 14-4 to FAVOR a grizzly bear hunting season. Your voices do make a difference. If you have not made any comments yet but were thinking about doing it, it is not too late to do so. Continue letting your hunting and outdoors friends know about this and keep sending comments. It will do a lot of good to continue to show support.

David

Well done David. I’m no expert, only have close contact with about 100 bears a year. Actually better way to phrase it is 100 close contacts. Know full well some days it’s the same Bear just messing with me.
In any event there is a world of difference between bears inside of Katmai National Park and outside, where they are hunted. There is also a difference in bear behavior during years there is a spring hunt. Much more likely to come around the corner and just catch a glimpse of him galloping away following a spring hunt. Yes I think they are that smart.
A little accountability education for the bears can’t hurt. Good luck getting those Montana hunts!IMG_9105.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like you were correct, there were 4 'antis' on the panel!

I wonder if/when they issue tags the cost of the tag will be?

England":2eneao9n said:
Looks like you were correct, there were 4 'antis' on the panel!

I wonder if/when they issue tags the cost of the tag will be?
No idea what kind of a price they would put. Hard to say. Hopefully we'll get to see what the price might be in the future! Remember you do NOT have to be a resident of Montana to make comments on the FWP website.

The committee has had virtual public meetings the last couple of days and even after today they are still seeking public input. We hunting folks need to make our feeling known. If you don't speak up no bitching in allowed! I went on-line and sent in an e-mail. I figured that would be simpler than trying to do it on the web-cast. This is what I stated for whatever it's worth.

Thank you to each and every member of this team who has taken time out of their lives to be a part of this conversation. I love Montana and everything about it. We are so blessed to live in a state where we have an abundance of wildlife which also includes the majestic grizzly bear. The grizzly bear numbers are healthy, growing, and they are also expanding their ranges into areas that haven’t seen this great animal for 100 years. We are so very lucky to share the landscape with these majestic animals.

If it were not for sportsmen and women such as Teddy Roosevelt, we would not be so blessed. President Roosevelt helped to establish the Boone & Crockett Club which was the first conservation group of its kind. This is their Mission Statement as noted on their website.

B&C Mission
It is the mission of the Boone and Crockett Club to promote the conservation [boone-crockett.org] and management of wildlife, especially big game, and its habitat, to preserve and encourage hunting and to maintain the highest ethical standards of fair chase [boone-crockett.org] and sportsmanship in North America.

This was their mission in the beginning and this mission continues to this day. In addition thanks to sportsman and women there have been many other organizations such as the Boone & Crockett Club who have put not only their dollars, but boots on the ground projects so that our world continues to not only have big-game animals, but birds, fish, and many others so that our children will also be able to enjoy them in our great outdoors. Just a few of these groups are the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, Safari Club International, Trout Unlimited, Pheasants Forever, The Mule Deer Foundation and so forth. According to my latest Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation magazine the following dollars have been contributed by sportsman and women with taxes they imposed on themselves in the form of licenses and gear so that our wild places remain wild and that we have abundant animal populations.

EXCISE TAXES: Serious Coin for Conservation

$22 Billion : generated since 1937 for state fish & wildlife agencies

$1 Billion : revenue per year since 2014

HUNTING & FISHING LICENSES: Another Bonanza for Conservation

$1.5 Billion : license sales generated in 2015

$686 Million : fishing licenses

$821 Million : hunting licenses

Sportsman and women have contributed greatly not only monetarily but in a lot of sweat equity so that WE ALL are able to enjoy the diverseness that is present in our great outdoors of the United States and abroad. I love the outdoors and I love to hunt, fish, trap, camp, and just about anything else you can think of outdoors.

It is my hope that in the near future with the grizzly bear populations continuing to grow that they will be delisted. I also feel very strongly that hunting should be ONE OF THE MANAGEMENT TOOLS that will be used in the future to help manage the populations and their continued growth. There are NO PEOPLE in Montana that care as much about the grizzly bears and their health as do the many women, men, and children who participate in hunting, fishing, and other outdoor pursuits. It is because of people such as these that we will continue our conservation of this great animal and others.

Thank you for your time.

David

I don’t know if it does any good but we can’t let idiots set the management for all of our wildlife on sentiment and not science.

I'm all for having a season on animals, no matter how small or large to manage animals. If theres a huntable population of griz, then give a few tags out. I AM ABSOLUTELY NOT for killing every griz or wolf in NA though...They were here far before us. Humans are just a selfish breed. Pretty sure farmers and ranchers have insurance on their animals, so it's not like a total loss to them anyway. Doesnt make any sense to me to kill an animal that is only doing what comes natural to them, and that's surviving...They dont have insurance like people...

I understand what you are saying and I agree. I DO NOT want every grizzly or wolf killed either. They belong on this landscape as much as we do and I enjoy being able to see tracks of wolves and hear them howling. I haven't been able to call one in yet, but I will keep trying. I've also been fortunate enough to see grizzly bears out in the wild a couple of times in Montana and have seen tracks in the snow on a couple elk hunts. It made the day just that much more special to me. I never once said or stated that they should kill them all, and I do not feel that way. That being said it's not like it was 150 years ago and there cannot be as many of these animals as their were at that time as there just isn't enough habitat to support that.

I could see the grizzly bear hunt as a drawing like it is for moose, sheep, and goat for a specific area where the population is such that it warrants maybe a tag or two for that specific area. I'm absolutely certain that the number of allowable tags would be extremely small. This could also be an opportunity for a hunter to be an asset in a situation where a problem bear that has been moved several times and keeps getting in trouble, and maybe also endangering people by it's aggressive nature, why have FWP deal with the problem and the expense when there are quite a few folks who would jump at the chance to help with the management of these animals. And yes that would mean killing that specific bear.

The populations are growing and expanding in Montana and I feel that sometime in the not too distant future that there will be a few tags available to be able to hunt a grizzly bear. That is part of the North American Wildlife Conservation model and it works. It is only because of folks like you and me, and the rest of the people on this site that makes that so.

I agree with you. I was just stating my own opinions on the matter, but it seems to almost mirror yours 100% Griz and especially the wolves are a very touchy subject here in the NW. Most people in my neck of the woods, would just soon shoot every wolf they see until they're back to being almost extinct. I just cant agree with that. In fact, they're still endangered in Oregon guys keep killing collared wolves and they never get caught. It kinda pisses me off honestly...I love seeing the bears and wolves in the mountains. Just makes the experience so much better than your typical deer and elk, ya know what I mean? I have a different respect for wolves, they are very smart and have a very hierarchical system. I have 2 huskys and 2 malamutes also, which arent exactly wolves, but they do share A LOT of similarities, especially as a pack, the hierarchy, and they're prey drive. I honestly would only kill a wolf if I had a tag in a state that had a huntable population, like Alaska for example. I couldn't just kill everyone just because they ate some farmers cow, that's just ignorant to me anyway. And far as griz go, that is my ultimate trophy that one day I'd love to take in Alaska...I agree to let the hunters do their part, instead of having the government do it for thousands upon thousands of dollars. Anyway, good luck and hope it all works out for you in Montana with the Grizzlies.

Back