My 9.3x62... and a mountain goat hunt to break it in...

maverick2

Handloader
Dec 22, 2013
A couple months ago I posted about converting my Dad's Mauser actioned 30-06 into a 9.3x62 that I would carry as my go to hunting rifle in lieu of a .375 H&H (http://forum.nosler.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=32150&hilit=9.3x62&start=25).
I took that plunge and sold the .375 H&H, followed the collective advice here and had JES re-bore the existing barrel, and left the rifle with a gunsmith to tweak a few other things as well. I got the rifle back in the middle of snow skiing season so wasn't in a hurry to play with things, but slowly (emphasis on SLOWLY) started accumulating the rest of the setup. I found out last week that I drew the one tag offered for a Mountain Goat hunt in the northernmost Unit of Idaho, and suddenly had newfound interest and incentive to finish the rifle and shoot it. I picked up the scope I wanted (which was the incentive for selling the .375 H&H to begin with) and then it took a couple different tries with rings to get enough clearance for the bolt w/o being too much, but finally had everything in hand and put it all together this AM and shot it this afternoon.

Attached are a few pix. The rifle is fairly unique -- Dad had a gunsmith friend of ours build the rifle years ago for him, so he set it up the way he wanted: Mannlicher stock, 23.5" barrel, and a right hand bolt stocked for a left hand shooter (that's how he learned to shoot a bolt action, and it stuck with him even after left-hand bolts became a lot more available). I picked up a box of Norma 232 gr ammo to site in// break-in with, and have found the rifle a pleasure to shoot as a 9.3x62. I'm getting right at 1" groups right now at 100 yds and am very pleased. (With the new rifling, light barrel and long Mannlicher stock I wasn't sure what to expect -- once it's fully broken in and I play around with different holds, it's only going to get better.) I'm pretty excited to play with this during the oncoming summer, and can/t think of a better way to christen it than on a Mountain Goat in some country that my Dad dearly loved.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice last winter.

SANY0106.jpg

SANY0108.jpg

Nice gun and it will certainly take care of a goat. When I guided for goats here I had a hunter shoot one with his 9.3x62 and it worked :shock: have to say there probably aren't too many of them taken with the round which is also cool. Your gun will get some new "character marks" from going out into goat country but hopefully not too bad. Are you going to run the 232 gr Norma load or try something a bit different? By the way I'm going to be using the 35 Whelen for goats this year which isn't too much different.

What a great opportunity.

I like the caliber. Nice, big holes without a great deal of fuss. It's not a flat shooter way out there - for goats & such I would definitely go with the lighter bullets. You don't need a 300 grain bullet to drop a goat!

Definitely a unique firearm. Gerry assuredly has the experience; if he says a cartridge is good to go, it is good to go. Best of luck to you in your hunt.

gerry":2tux5s02 said:
Nice gun and it will certainly take care of a goat. When I guided for goats here I had a hunter shoot one with his 9.3x62 and it worked :shock: have to say there probably aren't too many of them taken with the round which is also cool. Your gun will get some new "character marks" from going out into goat country but hopefully not too bad. Are you going to run the 232 gr Norma load or try something a bit different? By the way I'm going to be using the 35 Whelen for goats this year which isn't too much different.

I'll play around with different stuff to see what it likes to shoot the best. Assuming it shoots Nosler's 250-gr AccuBond well, will probably go that route.

I'll be watching this thread with great interest not only for a cool rifle and round but also goat hunting is a big favorite here. The 250 gr AccuBond will work along with a bunch of other different bullets around that weight. The outfitter I worked for loaded his slightly more powerful 9.3x64 with the 270 gr Speer for backing up goat and bear hunters, he had a ton of experience both.

The mountain goat hunt will be a new experience for me -- looking forward to it immensely. I've got a lot to figure out between now and then, but we'll spend July thru September right at the doorstep to my planned hunting area, so I'll have a lot of opportunity to get out there and see where the goats are hanging out and the best ways in/out.

Question for you since I'll be hunting right up against the Canadian border -- at what point in the fall is the coat on a mature billy pretty well-established? Does the hair tend to come in well by the end of September most of the time, or linger until a little later? My hunt stretches from Aug 31 thru Nov 15, so I've got a big chunk of calendar to work with.

Around here the hides thicken up in late September and are very nice by mid October. They should be fully haired out by late October. The billies will be getting interested in the nannies by then even if they aren't interested yet, the rut should be in full swing by mid November. I would go out at the beginning and enjoy every minute of it. The draw back of waiting for a thick coat is the weather can be worse.

And while we are talking about it goat hunting is usually far tougher than people think so being in top shape helps a lot. Goat meat has excellent flavor but is tough so we slow cook the meat, make lot's of ground meat or sausage. Goats can be stalked because of the rough country so you can usually stalk close.

Great rifle! Should be fun to shoot and hunt with!

I would suggest hunting whenever you can throughout the season, as snow in the high country can happen anytime and could add more excitement and adventure than one may wish for In steep, rough terrain.

Getting close to goats isn't as hard as most people think, if they have not been disturbed much. But if they spot you, try not to stalk straight at them, and don't disappear from their sight again. They can be very curious as well. Many successful bow hunters will angle towards goats in the wide open, by takin it slow, pausing often, as they approach to within bow range. Some dress in whites, others in goat hats or suits, playing on the animals curiosity. My Dad, who guided for goats for 40 years, also says that billies will also show up within a half hour of a rifle shot (usually made to harvest a goat) to investigate the disturbance in their territory.

Have fun on your hunt!

Beautiful rifle and I wish you nothing but the best on your endeavor.

Vince

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the suggestions on chasing goats. Looking forward to exploring a portion of my back yard that I've not had reason to go into much in the past.

Back