My New Shilen in 358 Norma Mag is a Shooter!

preacher

Handloader
Aug 19, 2012
I'm working on pictures ( yes, I have said that for a couple years now... :wink: :oops: ) but I finally got tot he range yesterday. My rifle has been finished for awhile now. I decided to put the Nikon 4x12AO on it ( the one that did so well on my 7mm mag) and I had a box of DoubleTap 180TTSX factory ammo ( read expensive!) However, I had no previous experience with the Norma ( though I did with Norma speeds from my high pressured 35 WAI loads! :oops: )
This is a CM #3 Shilen ( or 4?) with 1 in 14" twist. It has a brake, and screwed onto my Mod 700 action ( it was converted to magnum via a Mini M16 Extractor, opened up bolt face and magnum magazine follower. It kicked about like my 7mm rem mag with the 175gr (for sure like my old LWT 338 win mag and 185XLC) so that was good. I had no problems benchresting it. I had soaked the bore/let dry with EezOx previously. I just ran a EezOx soaked patch via rod after the second round. Then used a EezOx dampened Bore Snake after the next 4 rounds. I shot a total of 10rds. (hey, $5 a round guys!!!) After it settled down, the last 6 rounds all cut each other ( 4rds cut each other in a horizontal line, under 1:) I dialed my zero over, and the next two went almost the same hole!
My rifle had Two Bugs. ((a) it didn't want to eject properly, so it will get another ejector button installed at a slightly diff angle on the bolt face in addition to the factory button making a total of Two) and the Bolt Stop wanted to stick in the depressed position but did pop up with a little handling when the bolt was replaced. No biggy. My smith is busy right now with Hunting season starting, since I didn't draw not One Stinking Tag, I'm in no hurry! ha.
I'm going to start with the 200TTSX, see if I can get at least more than the 2950fps I got out of the hot Ackley loads (I got 2970 with original 200X which I used for 20yrs!!) ha. I also am in correspondence with Hammer Bullets who are working on a 358 Hammer, should come out between 200 and 220. I am very pleased so far. Yes! I am working on the pictures!

For sure, I'm looking forward to the pictures. The 358 Norma Magnum is a beast, without a doubt.

I went back to a flip phone ( I hated the G5, too dang big and all I use one for is calls), but when I hooked it up to the computer I don't get an Icon on how to download the pics!!! :evil: :twisted:
I don't know if its the new Windows 10 doing this to me or what, I will have to check with some tech savvy church members today. If I can't get it then I'll try to slow down one of the computer techs who installed the mess. All in due time....

Congrats on your 358 Jim. They are pretty wicked performers. Hoping to take my Newton out this week for a good zeroing.

Well this junk will not read anything from my phone! I'll have to try using my wifes camera and see if it will download from it. I told you, once it got past Polaroids I was lost! :)

preacher":2vvjhyhs said:
Well this junk will not read anything from my phone! I'll have to try using my wifes camera and see if it will download from it. I told you, once it got past Polaroids I was lost! :)
Jim; the pictures I post here I take with my phone. I then email them to myself from the phone and down load them to the computer. Once on the computer I can attach them here.
I once had a Polaroid (y)

Jim the 358 Norma mag is one hard hitting mother :shock:. I think it will definitely do everything you want it to & then some.
I am looking forward to your photos when you get them on post (y).

Blessings,
Dan

I'm getting disgusted! I took my computer to the store where I have service. The guy hooks up my phone, it won't work the regular way. he says I have to use the Bluetooth feature, but I require a Blutooth USB antennae, which they don't carry. I got to Verizon, no, they don't carry them. I found it at BestBuy. I get it home, it won't work. I call the guy, he trys to talk me through it but he is equally disgusted with my as an Old Phart, says "just bring it back in". I go through all the instructions with the USB thingy, it won't work. I am still bumfuzzled "why?", and I guess I have to unhook everything and take it back "again"..."Help Me Lord Jesus!! ( Yes, I "forgave" the guy for being disgusted with me, shame on him, but he is "forgiven" :p :grin:

I slept on it over the weekend...phooey on this phone and the Bluetooth it rode in on! I found my wifes digital camera, soon as I recharge the battery, I will do it "the old fashioned way...with a camera! ha

Congratulations on the 358 Norma. It is a true sledge hammer on game.
Looking forward to the pictures.

JD338

Well, soon as I find her battery charger ( she is as "serious about this stuff" as I am, ha, I'll take some pics and post them. when I start, I won't stop! :)

Found this picture the squirrely phone had hidden in "Documents" instead of "Pictures". Until I get this Canon squared away, here goes...0917161347a.jpg

Got the rifle back from the smith yesterday, he moved the ejector button up in a different position...I can aim a fired case and knock a coke can off the desk with it now, ha!
I just had my hand operated on 2 weeks ago, arthritis shaved off two knuckles and carpul tunnel...healing up real good, not quite ready to load ammo yet though, ha.

Back