New Barrel

corbin9191

Handloader
Dec 2, 2007
Hi everyone, I am looking to get a heavy/target barrel on my Winchester model 70. I am still going with the current caliber which is the 7mm wsm but I am looking for a heavy/target barrel for it. My question is what barrel company would you prefer and what would to total cost be for the new heavy barrel installed and ready to shoot? Thank you

Corbin,

There are several quality barrel makers out there. I would think pricing would be similar and the chambering and fitting would vary, depending on who does the work.
I have a Hart 24" #5 Futted chambered in 280 AI and she is a shooter. Cleaning is a snap.

If you are going this far, its well worth the exxtra money to have the action blueprinted.

JD338

what is done to the action when it is blue printed and what would the cost be? Plus would the winchester model 70 black shadow be worth putting a new barrel on and having it blue printed? Or should I buy something like a remington 700 sps and have it all done to that?

A blue printed action consist of squaring up the action and lapping the lugs. It will cost about $180 and it will ensure that you are squeezing out the best accuracy potential.

JD338

I just had Benchmark Barrels rebarrel my M70 Win action in the original .300 Win mag.
Cost was $585.
It shipped last week and I haven't recieved it so I can't comment yet.
But all my research on them has me very optimistic.

Douglas, Shilen and Pac-Nor can rebarrel your Model 70. You can go to their Website and check for pricing. Check Hart also. Sometimes they're running a special and it's reasonable.

When re-barreling, it's a good practice to blueprint the action to make sure that everything is square and concentric. Blueprinting prices varies. My gunsmith will charge $250 for a full blown blue printing whereas others may only charge $150. Not sure how much barrel makers charges for their services. The bottom line it's money well spent.

Here's a good picture of Blueprinted Remington Action. The work includes squaring the action, re- tracing thread using single point cut, squaring, sleeving and lapping lugs including the installation of Sako extractor.

Picture088-2.jpg

Picture090-2.jpg

Picture092-2.jpg

Great thread.

Fox, please educate me on the Sako extractor.

30-338 - good reading there on the links you posted.

corbin9191,

You have access to a number of excellent barrel makers in the states. Any of them make good barrels, or they wouldn't remain in business. I've used Pac-Nor and Hart, and had no complaints. As others have suggested, Kreiger and Shilen are recognised as making quality barrels. As has already been stated, blueprinting is money well spent if you are looking for accuracy. Do ensure that you have enough room with your stock to install a target barrel.

z11,

Good to see you on the forum. It is always a pleasure to welcome another aficionado on the board.

Thanks DrMike,

I have more projects in mind than I have $. Currently have two 700 SA with H-S stocks I need to get to my smith for work. He has the Shilen 20" barrels in 308. Looking to shoot 168 gr Nosler. Two? Yep, one for me and one for my son.

Any thoughts about the 700 LA and the 788 actions I have?

Corbin - is this your first custom barrel? If so, you're in for a treat!

Your Model 70 is absolutely worth re-barreling. The Model 70 was the darling of NRA highpower match rifle shooters for decades and still does a creditable job, even in long-range competition. A rifle of stellar accuracy can be built on the Model 70. There seems to be a bit of an art to properly bedding the Model 70 action, but there's plenty of smiths out there who can do it well.

I've had terrific results from Krieger barrels. Long life, excellent accuracy, and minimal fouling. They're cut rifled, and typically of very high quality. That said, there are a number of really good barrels available. I'd have no problem using a barrel from any of the top makers.

Worth truing up the action I think. Might as well make the bolt face square and true if you're going to the expense of re-barreling. You're looking at spending a fair chunk of change for the action work and the new barrel, might as well get it right.

One caution, if you have any thought of carrying the rifle up a ridge, hunting in the mountains, be careful how heavy a barrel you specify. Krieger and the others can cut a barrel to duplicate the Rem varmint contour, or the contour of the old Winchester Coyote rifles, which is about as heavy as I'd go for a rifle I intended to actually carry & hunt with. Or consider one of the Palma contours - another way to get enough barrel for top-notch accuracy, without creating a muzzle heavy range rifle. Unless that's what you want! :grin:

Enjoy - and don't delay if you want to hunt with it next season! Time to move is now.

Guy

Thank you everyone for the quick replies, I have been doing alot of research on the barrels and I think I will either get a benchmark barrel, Krieger barrel, or a Pac-Nor barrel. I will definitely get the action blue printed when I get the new barrel. Guy Miner, this is my first custom barrel and I am really hoping that it will turn out great. I will probably turn this rifle into a target rifle so the weight will not matter that much. Again thank you all for the help!

z11":i7rt9lve said:
Great thread.

Fox, please educate me on the Sako extractor.

30-338 - good reading there on the links you posted.

Z11,

If one find weakness in the design of the Remington action, the extractor will be it. I think Mike Walker came up with this design to maintain the integrity of the 700 claim to fame as the strongest action ever made because of the 3 ring of steel that surround the case head. A poorly maintain 700 bolt is susceptible to gum up if dirt and crud are allowed to build up in the bolt face. The extractor itself is so flimsy that it break so easily if enough pressure is applied to it during extraction. I personally witness one broke on a friends 7 RUM. Installing Sako extractor on the 700 bolt will eliminate this problem and improve the reliability of the Remington Action. This can easily be done by a competent gunsmith for a nominal fee.

Back