new reloader and a .270

ffbeano

Beginner
Apr 3, 2007
I'm looking for some loads for my .270 Win. I'd like to use nosler balistic tips in 130 grn, and acubonds in 130 and 140grns. The powders I have are imr 4350 and h4831sc. any help would be great. Be kind I'm new to reloading.

Welcome to the forum.

You've asked a timely question. We've just been discussing a similar subject. Check this thread and I think you'll find some useful information.

You have two of the classic .270 Win powders on hand. Both should work well with 130 gr bullets, my friend used to load his .270 with 55 gr of IMR-4350 and 130 gr Nosler Solid Base spitzers, until he tried a mild load of 57.5 gr of H-4831 and had a nice improvement in accuracy. The H-4831 load probably gave up 100 fps or so velocity, but he liked the accuracy, so he went with it. And for deer at any reasonable range, a 130 gr .270 bullet at 2850 fps out the muzzle is more than enough. As a beginning handloader, the one caution I would give would be to check your case length, make sure they are not longer than 2.54 inches, if so, invest in a case trimmer and trim them down to 2.53 inches. Also, invest in a couple of loading manuals. Read them, then remember to always start low, and work up your loads gradually, always watching for pressure signs. Have fun, and don't be afraid to ask questions. That is how we all learn.

I agree with 2ndtimer definently check the length of the new cases, I bought a new batch of winchester 270 brass not to long ago and all were real close to max length with a few of them over length! Also If you dont have a reloading manual you can go to Hogdon.com and they have reloading information on IMR and Hogdon powders, just scroll down and you will see where to click, I believe its in the lower left hand corner. Good luck!

I just got back from trying 130 accubonds today. New winchester brass with federal 210M primers and 58.5gr H4831 gave me sub 1/2" at 100 yards from my Stevens 200. This is with no tweaking or adjusting distance to the lands.

Welcome. Some good advise given here. All the 270 wins I have ever worked with responded nicely to H4831 and or Reloder 22.

Back