new rifle for my son

stinky

Beginner
Apr 9, 2006
ok guys, i'm looking for suggestions for a rifle for my son. Here are the details. First off, he is a small kid, 12 yo, about 80 lbs. Now as for the gun, it has to be at least a .270 or greater that will shoot at least 150gr and maintain at least 1600 fps out to 150 yards. I know a 270 will probably whack him but this isn't a bench gun but rather a hunting gun. We were thinking of either 308 or 7-08 but what do you guys have in mind. I'm not looking for specific models but rather caliber only. I will be handloading for whatever the cal is so please consider the ability to reduce recoil in this manner, again thanks to all.

270 WSM or 7mmWSM. You can load down to antelope or up to elk in bullet weights. And the starter loads don't recoil too bad.

Stick a towel folded to 3 or 4 thicknesses between the gun and his shoulder so it won't kick him too bad while sighting in, etc. Tell him it simulates the added bulk of hunting clothes. That should keep him from developing a flinch. And he will never remember the recoil when he has a big game animal in his sights.

Good luck.

What is your son going to be hnting?
If deer, a 257 Roberts, 260 Rem, or 7mm-08m, 308 Win loaded down should do. In 2-3 yrs your son will really grow so you might want to consider a 270 Win or 280 Rem and again load it down. Either of these would give him more flexability once he grows and fills out.

JD338

JD338 is right on. Any of those 1st three calibers would be perfect for anyone but expecially a young lad. I started my boys with 243 and 7m-08. The 7m-08 is the way to go for a handloader. Load up some 120 gn bullets with light loads and he will love it. Depending on make and model the rifle will not be too big for him physically or recoil wise.

Long

The young lad should be able to handle a 270 win without any problem. 130's out of a 270 will drop elk on their nose real quick. The bark is worse than the bite with a 270. A very versatile cartridge.

I would get the 7mm-08 and start him out with factory "low recoil" loads or light handloads. A Barnes 120gr TSX bullet will pass through any deer even if you use the lightest loads recommended by Hodgdon or other sources for low recoil loading.

Eventually, you can work your way up to heavy loads and the 160 AccuBond if you were using the rifle for elk or similar sized animals.

My sister and her daughter use a Browning A bolt 7-08 My mom a .257 Rboerts. A far as neeeding more gune when he gets older, if it kills good when he's 12 win't it still kill good when he is 21??? Every deer that I have killed have been with either a 30-06 or a 44mag. I say buy him a gun now andthen if he wants a biger gun let him buy one when he want to. I have never under stood why some gun are only good for wemen or kids, do they not kill anymore if a 180lb man shoots them???? I like the Idea of a youth model 7-08, you can add a "adult" stock later and work just fine.

I'll second the Remington "youth" model stock - it really fits kids and smaller adults well.

Oldest boy started with a .308, that I downloaded considerably using the mildest loads in Sierra's manual and their 150 grain bullets. It worked just fine for him, and now he's shooting it with factory level 165 grain ammo.

Youngest has stayed with the little 6mm Rem, he's quite the varmint shooter. It won't meet your 150 grain requirement, but it sure puts mule deer down and out fast!

Regards, Guy

these are all great suggestions guys. someone asked what he will be hunting and first off it will be caribou and possibly black bear. from there on it will probably be white tail and elk.

hey all. just for the heck of it i wanted to try something. I have a small 30-06 and i bought a box of 125gr remmington managed recoil. my son is pretty brave and he wanted to try it as well. Well sure enough he loves it :grin: ! He shot 3 groups of 3 at 100yds and held about a 2" group which i think is great for this stage of the game. So now i have a new question... does anyone have a load they have worked on that is similar to the remmington managed recoil that i could handoad??? thanks all

BULLET POWDER GR VEL PRESSURE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

30-06
CASE: WINCHESTER

BBL: 24"
PR: WINCHESTER LR

125 GR. NOS BT
DIA. .308"
COL: 3.270"
H4895 40.5 2615 f/s 31,200 CUP

130 GR. HDY SSP
DIA. .308"
COL: 3.220"
H4895 39.0 2544 f/s 31,500 CUP

135 GR. SIE SP
DIA. .308"
COL: 3.160"
H4895 39.0 2495 f/s 30,800 CUP

these are from the youth section of the hodgdon web site

yeayow offers some great advice.
Your son should have no problem with those loads.
As for the Caribou hunt, I would go up to the 150 gr AB since you are also including Black Bear. IMR4350 and RL19 would be good starting powders in the 30-06. With a 150 gr, you can get 2800 fps which will give a reasonable trajectory out to 250 yds. Although your outfitter most likely told you 150 yds, have your son practice shooting 200-250 yds.
Plan for the worst and hope for the best.

JD338

all sounds great guys! I will p/u some of the components listed and try them out. he has really impressed me with his shooting and i'm sure he will soon surpass my abilities! unfortunatly the club i belong to only has a 100 yard backstop and unless i can find another way that is as far as he will be able to practice out to. with a 3x9 50 he should have no problem out to 200 given the large kill zone of the bou. Thanks to all!

stinky,

If you can, try to find a place for your son to shoot some milk jugs filled with water at 200 or even 300 yds. His confidence will soar!
Good luck on the Caribou hunt.
What Outfitter are you going with?

JD338

thanks to all, jd we are leaving on August 19th and driving to Montreal. From there we fly commercially to Kujjuaq. We spend a night there and fly out the next morning on a float plane to camp which is somewhere above the 57th parrallell. We hunt and fish for 5 days. We are using Safari Nordik and booked through Tundratours. The reason for booking through TT was because the price was the same as booking direct and it was nice do be able to deal with someone here in the states. They have been extremly accomadating to our trip. My father is comming with my son and i and he has some medical issues. They have set up to fly in a small honda generator at no additional expence to run his breathing machine at night. They also have a 2 bou guarentee which is nice. I know that it is hunting and not shooting but its tough to get that much money out of savings without something the wife will understand! Also, the little guy goes for 1/2 price with all the same included.

Sounds like a great trip coming up! Best of luck, and keep us up to date about the results of the hunt!

Regards, Guy

Back