New Rifle for the Wife

atmoshpere

Beginner
Jun 8, 2011
I've been looking for something in 260 rem for my wife's hunting rifle. Been watching online and 260 seems to be pretty popular as most guns chambered in it go for a fair penny. I had the chance to spend Saturday perusing some gun shops with a friend and in about the 4th store we go to he finds a used Savage 10 in 260 rem, the only problem being it is a heavy fluted barrel and I knew my wife wouldn't be too pleased with me if she had to pack that around! So I'm a little disappointed and decide to lift my spirits by looking at the new guns! The guy says here's a browning a-bolt II in 6.5 creedmoor. Now to be honest, neither a browning nor a creedmoor were really on my radar (not sure why though in hindsight). It was perfect for her first big game rifle. Light 22' barrel, smooth short bolt throw, and best of all chambered in a capable round that will be light on the recoil even in a 6.4 lb gun.

So now that I've determined it will qualify, I get to seriously looking at the rifle. I've never owned a browning but the more I get to inspecting this one, the more I like it. It has a hinged floorplate but the box magazine detaches from the floorplate once you've got it open. Seems like it combines the best of both worlds. I like being able to pop open the floorplate without the shells wanting to jump out all over. The recoil lug/front receiver comes glass bedded from the factory and upon taking the gun apart last night, it seems to have been well done. Bolt cycles very smoothly with the gun empty, so I decided to fill up the mag and see how it did with some shells in it (picked up some Hornady superformance ammo loaded w 129gr SSTs). All I can say is, this thing was made to eat ammo. The third bolt lug points straight down when the bolt is retracted, placing the lug right behind the top shell with plenty of engagement. That bolt is not going forward without a shell. I cycled it through the 4 round mag capacity a few times and as far as I can tell, the engineers at browning did an excellent job of making sure the bullets go into the hole, no questions asked. Even with the sharper shoulder angle of the creedmoor case I didn't notice any binding as you pull the bolt back over the next shell, which is something I've experienced with the 284 cases in my savage 10 action, usually when the mag is full and you retract the bolt to load the top round it wants to hang up on the shoulder due to the spring tension and shoulder angle.

Walked out the door with it for $520, which I felt was a good value for the quality of the rifle. It was also at least $200 cheaper than any lightweight 260 I had seen.

...I've gotta share this last part cause I'm pretty sure you guys with daughters/wives/girlfriends will be able to relate. I bring it home and show it to my wife and one of the first things she says is "ooohhh, I like the gold trigger!" :mrgreen:

Now "we" just need to get it to the range!

You did really well. Great rifle in a great chambering!

It will be a great choice, the 6.5 Creedmoore is every bit as good as the 260 Rem. Glad she likes the gold trigger :)
With some Talley lightweights and a compact scope it shouldn't come in around 7 1/4 lbs all ready to go. We need some pics please :)

Thanks guys,

I had a Leupold Rifleman 3-9x40 with rings so I picked up some Leupy bases for it for $20 and was good to go. I may change things up a bit if needed after I have the LOP shortened for her. She's a pretty short gal and 13.75" LOP is just a tad unwieldy for her. Feels awfully compact to me but it's not "my" gun lol!

I'll post some pictures tonight! It's a composite stalker so nothing too special in the looks department, but really pretty well done for all that. Gonna have the same guy who shortens the stock for me spiderweb on a bit of color to make it a little more distinctive for her, as I'm pretty sure this one will be with us for a long time.

The Creedmoor and 260 are ballistic twins. Browning makes a good rifle. It does sound as if you did very well. I'm certain she will enjoy shooting it.

...follow the instructions & lighten the trigger to about 3#,s, probably all you'll ever have to do w/ it...

Good choice on all accounts. Don't recall meeting a Browning that didn't shoot well and it does have a gold trigger. :wink: Hope it works out great for her.

Started break-in today! Got through the singles and a couple 3 round groups shooting the Hornady Superformance ammo w the 129gr SST. Last 3 round group did just a hair over an inch with 2 touching. Of course I let her have the first shot and then we switched back and forth (yes, she was generous enough to let me shoot it too :lol: ). The stated muzzle velocity on this ammo is 2950fps (didn't have chrono today) and it definitely felt peppy in the lightweight gun, but not enough to bother Caitlin. The barrel just started to feel warm after a 3 shot group, but it was only 25 degrees so that's not too surprising :grin: Just starting to break out the owners manual to check out the directions for trigger adjustment, but Caitlin said she liked it just fine. Guess the Accutrigger is spoiling me!

Can't wait to get some handloads going for it!

Got some good pics but having trouble resizing them on the new laptop. Of course it has to have a new OS and I keep flipping screens and opening new windows without really trying too. Thanks Windows...

Nicely done!
Glad your bride likes the rifle ( and the gold trigger).
120 gr BT's will work really well on deer and recoil will be light. The 125 gr PT and the 130 gr AB will give you a lot of penetration when its needed.

JD338

The stock on the Browning Composite Stalker is actually a better stock than many of the injection molded ones on competitor's rifles. I had one in .280 Rem for about 17 years and it was a good rifle. My grandson hs it now, he bought it from me last year.

JD338":xihjqlss said:
Nicely done!
Glad your bride likes the rifle ( and the gold trigger).
120 gr BT's will work really well on deer and recoil will be light. The 125 gr PT and the 130 gr AB will give you a lot of penetration when its needed.

JD338

Agreed.

Tell your good lady that I like lovely touches on my rifles, and gold triggers can make me smile. Sounds like a good day with your wife.

It was a good day! Our 8 mo old daughter was sleeping in the pick-up and the dogs were in the back, enjoying the trip around the farm. The only thing that would've made it better was if it had been a tad warmer so the fingers didn't go numb quite so fast!

I will definitely be loading some 120 BTs for her to try.

OT3, I agree with your assessment of the stock. It is much more rigid than I expected.

Back