New Rifle for the Wife

filmjunkie4ever

Handloader
May 4, 2011
Fellas after all the "hmm" and "hah" that has taken place on the subject, today I put a rifle on layaway for my wife at Cabelas.

Its a slightly used Ruger American in .308 WCF. It has a Redfield 4x12x40mm scope that comes with it. You guys would give me the "soap in a sock" if you knew how much I got it for.

Suffice it to say, its the one rifle I have had in her hands that she liked the fit of. The pistol grip was one she could get her smaller hands around and the rifle weight was to her liking. The short barrel handles well and the adjustable trigger is decent. It may need a little tweaking.

For some reason, she has struggled with the bolt lift even on my Ruger Hawkeye .22-250 where the butter smooth action on the American with the shorter bolt throw seems to operate smoothly for her.

I will load her up some 150 grain bullets at about 2650 fps to start out as I am afraid that a lightweight .308 may be a little heavy on kick with the heavy loads.

Will post some pics once we get it to the range.

Dale

Congratulations. That is a superb cartridge and a fine rifle. I'm sure you did well.

my buddy has that very rifle and so far it has produced some superb groups. I hope yours does as well.

I've set several of these up for folks and liked them so much I picked one up in .223REM... they've all be shooters.

The 308win is a great all around calibre (y) & there is nothing wrong with a Ruger rifle.
Congratulations to both of you.

Blessings,
Dan

If she is recoil sensitive, try some 125 gr loads. I spent the summer developing both Nosler and Sierra 125 loads. They are really nice to shoot in both my 308's. Good luck with it.

Back