New Stock Project. 1949 Model 70 UPDATED

Wow! Beautiful job. I am very impressed. Can't wait to see the finished product. You, sir, are an artist.

It has a lot of contrast stripes coming up on the surface, Pat, that is the way it will become a stunning stock. Don't overdo it and cut or sand that grain out again (stocks will do that sometimes). It looks pretty great the way it is right now. Don't overdo it and just let that stock be all that it can be!

Pat,

Excellent tutorial.
Looking forward to the finished project.

JD338

Getting close guys.. getting close. Starting the final sanding this weekend.. that is if I don't go hunting with the revolver.

Thanks for the kind words. After this one, only 6 more to go.

Beautiful work, you have the patience to deal with the details!! I have one piece of advice - you are obviously skilled, and know what you want. If you are not experienced at checkering, I suggest you don't use this gorgeous project as your training ground. I speak from experience :lol: I love checkering, but I screwed up at least three stocks developing the skill and confidence to take on rifles I truly wanted to come out well. I don't think you can short-cut the process by being ultra meticulous. The things that can go wrong sneak up on you and you have crooked lines, narrow or wide lines, curved where it should have stayed straight a little longer. Things like that. If you are ready to dive into this one and want more advice, PM me. I will share the cautions, tips, and experiences I had as a home alone learner. At least, I wish the web had existed and someone had offered the same to me!
EE2

Just a sneaky peaky...

DSC01401-1.jpg

OH MY! That is pretty!
I believe 6mm(David) found an excellent checkering person that was reasonable. What did you finish that stock with?

Scott

That is BEAUTIFUL Pat! You did a great job on that stock! Man, that has some really nice figure in it. Congrats on such a nice rifle. That is going to be a pleasure to carry...

Ok so I really didn't like the shiny finish so I hit the whole stock with 0000 steel wool and man do I really like it now!!! It has a rich satin finish now. Here it is next to the original factory stock.

DSC01418.jpg

DSC01420.jpg

DSC01424.jpg

Pat,

That is some beautiful wood. The straight grain in the original just doesn't have the character of the one you've finished. That is simply handsome. Come to think of it, that would look good on a couple of rifles I own! :mrgreen:

Geez that's purty. Awesome work and I love that finish. Good thing I didn't see that before I decided on a Micky for my Pre-64.

Really nice looking stock, Pat. Hitting it with that 0000 steel wool always mutes the shine a little and makes it look more professionally done. It came out really well for grain, color and you did a great job on it. It looks terrific! Find somebody to checker it and it will look like a professionally done stock.

That looks AWESOME Pat! What a rifle that is now! Beautiful!

Now, when do you shoot it?

Back