New to me rifle coming soon (Pics added)

375hh1973

Beginner
Mar 31, 2007
My buddy is thinning his herd and made me an offer I couldnt refuse.

Its a Marlin 1895 ABL. Thats a 18.5 blued gun with gray laminate pistol grip stock with large lever. Comes with a Nikon Monarch 2-8x32. Its a JM, all original. I remember helping him sight it in when he got it, was damned accurate.

Due to work schedules, holiday, etc I won't pick it up til the 7th.

Should be a good Michigan woods thumper!

Like Tom Petty said....The waiting is the hardest part

Sounds like a solid acquisition. Congratulations on picking up what is sure to be a treasured rifle.

Congrats on the Marlin 1895. You are going to love it and the 45/70. I run the 300 gr BST in mine and it is wicked on WT deer. I have shot mine out to 300 yards with excellent accuracy. Last year I shot a crop damage deer at 160 yards, DRT.
Did I mention that you are going to love the Marlin 1895 45/70?

JD338

Havent picked it up yet

Ordered a few boxes of ammo to try.

Federal Hammer Down 300gr
Hornady flex tips 325gr

Local gun shop had a box of Garrets on the shelf. In case I need to kill a dinosaur

So I finally had a few days off to pick up my new rifle and head up north for some bluegills and rifle test.

Marlin .45-70.jpeg

This is a new caliber for me so I had to buy some ammo on line. Ended up with a few boxes of Federal Hammer Down 300gr.

.45-70 ammo.jpeg

The rifle came with a Nikon Monarch 2-8 which is about perfect for where I hunt. All I did was move the scope forward due to me being a 6'5" knuckle dragger.

The day I chose to hit my shooting bench was hot humid and full of lightning and thunder. Didnt have a ton of time to play around, I just wanted to get it close and function check the gun.

The rifle is a fun gun. Feels about like shooting a Hi Brass pheasant load.

My last 2 shots were the ones directly above the bullseye. Should be able to whack a deer

.45-70 sight in.jpeg

The first loads are definitely promising. That is looking good, and the rifle itself is a handsome acquisition.

Beautiful rifle and she is a shooter for sure. If you jug one of those 300 gr Federal loads, you will be impressed. The Nosler 300 gr BST is is a great bullet delivering exceptional accuracy and excellent performance on deer.
Congratulations on the new rifle.

JD338

Back