New to me.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Been looking for one of these for a while and run across one at a decent price so picked it up. They're getting a lot harder to run across for sale.

Newer Remington 760 in 35 Remington. These yrs of 760's fit me best for some reason. Stock sits higher for a scope and probably the wrist area and length of pull is slightly different, don't know. But they snap up really nice for me.

They didn't make a lot of 760's in 35 Remington but did produce them every yr from the first yr of 1952 - 1967. From 1967 on they didn't produce the 35 Rem at all, and then brought them back for one yr only in 1979. This is one of those made in 1979.

Gonna get rid of the high rise mounts. Being a pump action I can go low.

Any advice on scopes? I'd like something starting out low power. 1.5 or 2x.

I'm not knowledgeable on scopes. I shoot what comes on rifles or stick a Tasco, Bushnell, 3x9 or something similar on. Hasn't been an issue for me through the yrs.

This one I'd like a good low power scope.

Nice looking rifle. I got a 35 Remington barrel for the Thompson Contender and at the time I was pleasantly surprised to find brass was available for it.
I’ve never had a pump action rifle but our neighbor when I was a kid used one for years to fill his deer tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really nice, hope it shoots as good as it looks. I would be looking at a Burris FF II 2-7x35 if you can still find one or a Bushnell Elite 2-7x32, have both scopes and like them.

Nice brush gun!
I would look at a good used Leupold VX-3 1.5-5x20 (or VX-III or Vari-X III;just different generations of the same scope) for it. Great scopes with lifetime warranty, regardless of owner, rugged, lightweight and just about perfect for this application.
Have had one on my my BLR in 358 for 18 years now.

A decent 2-7x32 shotgun scope would be my first choice for something like that. I like my Nikon's, and even tho they are out of the scope business, they can still be found. Natchez has a lot of them on sale.

Thanks fella's for the suggestions. I'll keep my eye out for one of the recommendations. Maybe can run across a used one. All of them sound like what I'm looking for.

Unless it's a lemon in the accuracy department this rifle has found a home, doubt I'll let it go. Just a perfect fit IMO opinion for this cartridge. Fast handling and fast rapid fire if needed in a moderate recoiling thumper at woods ranges.

30-06 and 270 are the most common chamberings. They used the same barrel contour when chambering for the 35 Remington so that cuts the weight down even more because of the larger bore. This one as it sits with those bulky mounts weighs in just under 6 3/4 lbs.

I like it. :grin:

Nice Find! I really like those pump guns for woods rifles. I've got 3 of them in the newer model 7600 version, 308, 06, & 35 Whelen. I favor the Leupold VX3 in either 1.5-5 or 2.5-8 for this type of rig.

That’s a great find buddy. That sucker in 35 Rem should be an animal. I just grabbed a 760 in 270 Winchester I believe I’m going to send to JES for a makeover.

I’m really partial to the little M8 2.5x and 4x’s myself on sweet handling little rifles like that.

Great score, some Lever and 220 Speers would make a Hecuva deer and bear killer.

I have been using the Speer 220 gr Hot Cor in my 358 for 18 years now and it has worked great on elk and moose!
DrMike used it in his 356 for his grizzly bear.
I picked up some of the 180 gr version to develop a load in the 35 Rem (Marlin 336) for the wife.

Blkram":18goxxw3 said:
I have been using the Speer 220 gr Hot Cor in my 358 for 18 years now and it has worked great on elk and moose!
DrMike used it in his 356 for his grizzly bear.
I picked up some of the 180 gr version to develop a load in the 35 Rem (Marlin 336) for the wife.

Those 180's are a tough bullet and will be a good all around load in the 35 Rem. I load it at around 2500 fps in my 358. Just in case someone here hasn't seen this 35 Rem bullet test here it is.

https://www.suitorsgarage.com/gunstuff/ ... part2.html

That's great. I'm really liking the 1-4x range scopes. Tons of field of view at 1x.

I'll probably start this rifle out on a diet of factory 200 gr Remington core lokts. I picked up a box lot of them a while back so I have plenty. But yeah looking forward to working up some loads for this rifle at some point.

Action tube is tight on this one so I have it soaking in a oil/acetone mixture to try and loosen it up so I don't have to beat on it to get it broke loose. Some of these 760's are tight, this one seems exceptionally tight, but I'll get it. Anxious to get it broke down and cleaned up good then test it out.

1100 Remington Man":2yr09g95 said:
I would put a Burris 1 3/4 x 5 as its what I had on when I went Black Bear hunting and shot one with it.

?? I'm assuming you're talking about the scope, and not this rifle. I picked this up local.

Shade Tree I have one just like it. Have owned 2 all together and both were shooters. My current one has a VX3 2.5x8 on it. Dan.

Was browsing the innerweb looking at some scopes and 2 more budget scopes that caught my eye but should still be decent quality, was the Vortex Crossfire 2-7 x32, and the Sig Sauer in the same 2-7 x32.

Any thoughts or experience with either of those brands?

Dan, hope this one is the same. My 141 in 35 Remington is an unreal shooter. This one will be more user friendly overall with a scope on it, but as long as it's consistently under minute of deer out to 100 yds, it and me will get along just fine. If it's down in the shooter category I will love it.

Back