Newest bout of RADD

HTDUCK

Handloader
Apr 18, 2009
If only they could talk.

Left to Right
1942 Springfield service grade. Rebarrelled in 1955.
1942 Springfield CMP Special, has a new Criterion barrel the rest a mix of GI issue parts.
1943 Springfield service grade. Rebarrelled in 1946. I found out this rifle was rebarreled by USMC after the war at an armory in the Boston area in 1946. Wonder how many rounds went through that rifle in three years of combat ?

All three of them have new CMP stocks made by Boyds on them. I stripped them, stained them and rubbed 3 or 4 coats of boiled linseed oil into them over the stain.

Sweet! I need to get my hands on something like that. Difficult here in the Great White North, though.

Nice looking Garrands. I had one that was a Winchester that the receiver was drilled for the side mount scope yeah a sniper model which also had the Redfield target sights on it and I traded it for an out board motor. Yep I'm still kicking myself but I was young and dumb and really needed that outboard motor for my boat.

Very nice Howard.
The Grande is fun to shoot and accuracy at 600 yards is pretty darn good.
Of course my eyes were a lot younger than. :)

JD338

Nice set of rifle's you've got there! I'd think the middle one could really shoot with the right ammo, and person behind it.

DrMike":2rq2a7p7 said:
Sweet! I need to get my hands on something like that. Difficult here in the Great White North, though.
I'll trade you one for a Ross

Polaris":g2upji8e said:
DrMike":g2upji8e said:
I'll trade you one for a Ross

Now that is just not playing fair. :mrgreen: Getting them across the border seems to be increasingly difficult. I would imagine that a Ross up here is somewhat cheaper than in the States, however.

Those are beautiful looking rifles, just wondering if you use them or are they collector's items only?

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":1uvo6bgd said:
Those are beautiful looking rifles, just wondering if you use them or are they collector's items only?

Blessings,
Dan

Oh no, they all get taken to the range.
Been reading a lot about what you can do to make them more accurate and still keep them eligible to shoot " as issued " matches.
A local club has a match every month that i intend to start shooting.
In fact I bought a new Dillon 550 press just to feed them.
And don't be surprised if you find one on stand with me when deer season opens next November.

6mm Remington":2xjwrprp said:
That's an excellent find you have there!! Glad to see that the RADD is still alive and well among us!

And just when I had thought the plague was finally dying out! :mrgreen:

DrMike":2wiq1jlj said:
6mm Remington":2wiq1jlj said:
That's an excellent find you have there!! Glad to see that the RADD is still alive and well among us!

And just when I had thought the plague was finally dying out! :mrgreen:

Oh heavens no.
I just bought another " bucket lister "
Found an all original 1943 Remington 03A3 that I STOLE !
Just haven't taken pics of it yet.......
I have shot it though..... :roll:

Nice rifles you got there, HTD.

Myself, I can't think of a reason in the world to own a Garand but I'd still jump at the chance to get one as nice as any of those if the price was right. There IS just something about them...

Very cool rifles! You've almost got enough to outfit a fire team. Cool rifles. What do you feed them?

47 Grs BLC2
CCI 34 primers
168 Gr CCs

AND the newest addition i picked up last Sunday
Feb 45 SA with a 9/11 Criterion barrel .

DANG!! Too cool buddy. Those old battle rifles are pretty danged cool.

I cannot imagine having a 30-06 in a battle rifle. It had to be impressive on the battlefield.. Different breed of men back then.

How do they shoot typically? I have shot a few of them, but never laid one over the bench and shot for accuracy? Seems like it would be alot of fun to get slung up and hammer out a 200-300 yard rapid fire..

They are a hoot !
The two that have Criterion barrels in them are running about 1.5 inches at 100 off the bench when my 54 year old eyes do their job. I read an article about how the USMC armorers back in the day fitted stocks for match shooting and how it improved the accuracy. Have fit the stock on the middle rifle in the top pic (following those instructions) and it made a noticeable improvement.
Recoil is pretty mild since they weigh about 10 lbs loaded.

The other two I haven't shot other than getting them on paper at 25 yards.
Need to check stock fit on them but haven't had time.
Told the wife the other night that one day I'm taking all four of them to the club and wring 'em out.
Promised her I'd come home a bit sore and tired but w a smile on my face.

Four of the old battle rifles! Way cool. Never handled one in my life, but I hope to do so before I exit this life.

HTDUCK":3sklqruz said:
They are a hoot !
The two that have Criterion barrels in them are running about 1.5 inches at 100 off the bench when my 54 year old eyes do their job.

I wish I could remember what it was like to have 54-year old eyes. And memory too.

:cry:

Great rifles. My wife bought me one for my wedding present. Grandpa carried one across France, Belgium and part of Germany. He does not care for guns and I can understand why, but I did show him mine and when I did, he handled it like he was 19 again. Like Scotty said, a different breed of men.

Back