Nosler 30 cal 180 BT vs 165 BT

wvbuckbuster

Handloader
Nov 5, 2015
I know you guys might find this hard to believe but I've never shot a deer with a 180gr bullet out of any 30-06 I've owned. Used lots of 150 and 165 though. So have developed a load with the 180 BT and was wondering for those who use both weights is there much difference in internal damage and exit wound size given the velocity and shot placement is about the same? Something on the bucket list hope to scratch off along with poking a deer with the Whelen from Scotty. Dan.

I started hunting with a 30-06 and 180 gr SPCL bullets. Always got an exit about the size of a quarter. Switched to the 180 gr PSPCL and same quarter size exit wound. Deer typically ran 40-50 yards with a lung shot. The 150 gr PSPCL made a slightly bigger exit and deer seemed to run not quite as far. When I started using the 150 gr PT, deer seemed to hit the dirt faster and the exits were quarter size. I can tell you that Nosler PT and BT bullets do a lot of internal damage

JD338

I always used 150gr PAR in my 308win/30-06/300win mag with great results on deer/pigs and pronghorn.
Now I am required to use non-lead in Calif so I use 130-150gr Barnes TTSX and get good results.
Never saw a need for anything heavier than 150gr.

Never used them myself either, but seen them used plenty. Standard 180 gr C&C spitzers. 180 gr in general is a little heavy for whitetail sized game, but if you don't mind them getting a tad farther on average before they're done, it wont tear up much meat.

That said not all bullets are created equal. The BT might do more damage than others, particularly if hitting bone.

I got 3 boxes of older Hornady 180 RN, that I have full intention of trying out on deer at some point. Kind of something to get off the bucket list like you.

My uncle used to hunt with a 30-06 and 180gr round nose cor-lokt’s. My dad used a 30-06 with 150gr psp cor-lokt’s. They argued constantly about which was best for deer when we were hunting. I think it was because they were brothers and nothing else, because both never failed to kill the animal. I say 6 one way, half dozen the other when it comes to deer. Shoot what you want.

Had a old FN Mauser that shot okay with 150 , but shot GREAT like 1/4 inch group with 180 .
Killed deers fine , but kicked like a damn mule with shoes on .

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back