Nosler Ballistic tips

newhornet

Beginner
Dec 7, 2004
Hello,
Could anyone tell me if they laod with the AA3100 with the Balllistic tip 165 gr. for the .300 Win. Mag? I have for years and have had difficulty with pass-thrus at 250 and longer ranges. I was told that perhaps the load is too quick. 74.0 grs. of the AA 3100 is stated in the manual to be @ 3000fps. What are your thoughts? Thank you. :roll:

Howdy sir, using the ballistic tips for hunting?...or for targets? Hopefully for targets. I killed 2 elk this year with ballistic tips and lost a lot of meat. Didn't lose an animal, but....there must be a less devestating bullet for the 300 mag. Lost a monster bull a few years ago with 250 grain partitions also, perfect hit, but it just poked a hole through him evidently, looked for 3 days for tha animal and never even found blood, after knocking him off his feet. Bullets are a real dillemma....you sure want to kill the animal, but the loss of meat is a heartbreaker, for the animal's sake. I chose ballistic tips for their accuracy in my rifle (ruger no 1) but had a moving shot and regretted it, at 400 yards. Good shot, right in the front shoulder, but lost a front quarter of the elk. I suggest if you're hunting game, work with the accu lock (?) bullets and use your ballistic tips for killing papar. (unless your huntng grizzles?) Don't give up on the 300 mag, best all around caliber giong! Let's try these accu locks next year!

Howdy sir, using the ballistic tips for hunting?...or for targets? Hopefully for targets. I killed 2 elk this year with ballistic tips and lost a lot of meat. Didn't lose an animal, but....there must be a less devestating bullet for the 300 mag. Lost a monster bull a few years ago with 250 grain partitions also, perfect hit, but it just poked a hole through him evidently, looked for 3 days for tha animal and never even found blood, after knocking him off his feet. Bullets are a real dillemma....you sure want to kill the animal, but the loss of meat is a heartbreaker, for the animal's sake. I chose ballistic tips for their accuracy in my rifle (ruger no 1) but had a moving shot and regretted it, at 400 yards. Good shot, right in the front shoulder, but lost a front quarter of the elk. I suggest if you're hunting game, work with the accu lock (?) bullets and use your ballistic tips for killing papar. (unless your huntng grizzles?) Don't give up on the 300 mag, best all around caliber giong! Let's try these accu locks next year!

Pass thrus on what game? If penetration is high on your list of demands go for the 180 gr Partition with 76 gr of H4831 or RL22 and use it for everything! :wink:

I would switch to the 150BT if the 165BT's are too tough at the longer ranges. I know they expand out to 6-700yds and flat explode rockchucks out there. Driving them too fast usually results in less penetration rather than more. The less the front of the bullet expands the deeper it penetrates. I assume we are talking about deer here and if your talking about larger game definately stay away from the 150BT's.

Back when I shot a .300 Win Mag. I shot 180's and IMR4350. I did try some AA3100 but the 4350 was more accurate. Elk was always a possibility so I stuck with the heavier bullets. Presently I have a 30-338 (close to a .300 Win. Mag.) that loves 150BT's and IMR4350.

72.0 H4350 and a 165gr ballistic tip will do it to it on deer. I had one go through both shoulders and kept on goin awhile back.

I took a big bodied muley last week with a 300 winmag 165gr Baltip.I use 76gr of IMR 7828 chronied at 3050fps.Range was 100-150yds, complete pass through.Clipped shoulder blade on way in through bottom of spine and clipped shoulder blade on way out.I was expecting major meat damage,I was pleasently surprised when we cut him up and lost only the top 1/5th of the blade meat and only about 4" of back strap meat.Exit hole was smaller than a dollar coin.From what I have read the key is the speed.If you can keep the Baltips under 2900FPS they expand much better,my load is going 2900FPS at approx. 80yds.RB

Like I mentioned before...If you want DRT (dead right there) results with the good possibility of the slug not passing thru I will go with the BT's. If penetration is your goal then Partition. If you want a little bit of both then go AB.

Easy! :wink:

Back