Nosler Brass

jezzolo

Handloader
Nov 14, 2005
I ordered a package of 25 nosler brass for my 28 nosler. Are they for real when they advertise "ready to load"?? I don't have to prep the brass at all??? No sizing or nothing? Seems too good to be true......

jezzolo":3j6k70rs said:
I ordered a package of 25 nosler brass for my 28 nosler. Are they for real when they advertise "ready to load"?? I don't have to prep the brass at all??? No sizing or nothing? Seems too good to be true......
I always run mine through a resizer to ensure the necks will hold my bullets like I want them to. Besides it will be consistent to what your reloads will do if you are working up loads. Neck tension is one of the most important things to accomplish

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

I was thinking,, at least neck size them.. I would think necks could get out of wack just from shipping.... I figured it was too good to be true lol

jezzolo":2g3k022g said:
I was thinking,, at least neck size them.. I would think necks could get out of wack just from shipping.... I figured it was too good to be true lol
Just like their published BC's, it's always too good to be true and then Bryan Litz will keep you honest!

They are pretty much ready to load. Having said that, I have found they require sizing, just to be sure the necks are as intended, as shipping may cause the necks to out of round.

Jim

I just used my Sinclair primer pocket uniformer on some new 7x57 brass and it took out a little brass in a third or less of the pocket on less than half the cases. I'll see how they square up after a first firing.

For new brass I always size the neck because in the past I tried to load a couple of dented ones... I also seperate by weight and ream the flash hole. Then they are ready to load.

I only size the neck on virgin nosler brass. No need to sort by weight, uniform to constant length or de-burr primer pockets! I would say that Nosler Brass is by far superior to Winchester or Remington-Peters brass.
Keith

I just run them through the expander ball on my sizing die to make sure the neck is concentric. Then load and shoot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, what everyone else has said. My experience is with Nosler in .280 AI and .308. Just neck size and load them up. They are at the short end of SAAMI specs for length and can be fired several time before resizing in my experience. Best brass I have used (except for the bad .222 Rem Mag stuff I got from Graff's), but I have not tried Lapua and other euro stuff so I there might even be better stuff out there.

waveslayer":1vjxffb1 said:
jezzolo":1vjxffb1 said:
Just like their published BC's, it's always too good to be true and then Bryan Litz will keep you honest!

What does one have to do with the other?

I never had to do ANYTHING to nosler brass except possibly resize the mouths if I bought them used and shipping was hard on them.

FOTIS":3vxvplbb said:
waveslayer":3vxvplbb said:
jezzolo":3vxvplbb said:

What does one have to do with the other?

I never had to do ANYTHING to nosler brass except possibly resize the mouths if I bought them used and shipping was hard on them.
Not sure what your response has to do with my post?

I have not used any Nosler brass yet . I do have some on the shelf though , and it looks good . I would run it through my full length die. measure the length , it's usually short . look inside for a burr at the flash hole . I would not trim any virgin brass length unless it's over book max, the length will change after it's fired . for hunting ammo I don't think it needs much more attention .

I trim all.new brass if the lengths are not equal, which happens a lot with some companies. This will help improve consistent neck tension and accuracy

Nosler does weight sort, debur the flash holes, and chamfer the necks. I do not recall if they trim to a certain length as well. As others have suggested, I too run through the neck sizer before assembling my loads, as the necks can get deformed in transit.

It is quality brass, and I have had good success with it so far.

You can just load it. I wouldn't use virgin brass when taking measurements for ES or SD. I will typically use virgin brass only for practice. Not load development. But that's just my own personal voodoo. :mrgreen:

For the whats it worth I loaded it right out of the box .264 Win Mag. My group size shrank just under 1/2 inch at 300 yards just by changing brass. I like the two boxes I bought.

I haven't checked the premium first brass I have from Nosler but the seconds need attention before reloading but I still run the first threw a sizing die just because of human error.

Back