Nosler bullet performance while on safari in South Africa

cdrusn4100

Beginner
Jun 12, 2006
I just returned from South Africa. Did a 9 day safari up near the Botswana border. Took Waterbuck, Cape Eland and a Gembok with my .375 H&H mag. and Red Hartebeest, Impala, Blue Wildebeest, Kudu, Black Wildebeest and Blesbok with my 7mmSTW.

I used both 175 grain Swift A-Frame and Nosler Partition bullets.

The Swift A-Frames were pushed at 3,119 ft./sec. using 78.0 gr. of RL-25. Bullets recovered showed an average wt. retention of 98.3%.

The Nosler Partitions were pushed at 2,696 ft./sec. using 72.0 gr. of H-1,000. Bullets recovered showed an average wt. retention of 83.7%.

All hits were fatal in nature, but the Blue Wildebeest took 3 rounds of the Swift A-Frames before he hit the ground......tough animal, as are they all.

Great adventure to be sure. Feel free to contact me for more info. Thanks.

Congratulations on your safari.
Can you share any pictures?

JD338

I'd be happy to share some photos. Send me an email to <cdrusn4100@comcast.net> and I'll forward them to you. Or, is there a way to post them here? Right now I don't see that that is possible. Thanks for your interest.[/img]

Up load your pics to the internet ie. photobucket, select the pics that you want to share with us. then click generate URL copy the URL go to the nosler page. Click post a reply, click the url buton, after doing that right click your mouse, and click paste there you go your pics are posted .

Good luck

//s54.photobucket.com/albums/g104/cdrusn4100/?sc=6th Africa.

I hope I did this correctly. I'm a better shot than a computer type.

Enjoy.

Dang, I'm getting better at this computer stuff. I see the URL was posted correctly and works.

As I said, "Great Safari".

Anyone interested in something like this, please feel free to contact me. My professional hunter (PH) is an Officer in the South African police force, which really helped us out when getting our weapons/ammo into and out of the country. Plus, I've known him for years. Going on safari with an "unknown" is at best....."taking a chance". This guy will take care of walking your weapon's application permits through their system, pick you up at the Johannesburg airport and deliver you to the finest of Game Lodges I've ever seen. It was first-class all the way.

Pretoria also has, what I consider to be the best taxidermy place in the world (Highveld Taxidermy). They make all of their own fiberglass forms and tan each cape/hide at a pH that is best for the condition of the hide. Doing a price comparison of having all the taxidermy work done there, or here, it was a toss up. It'll take a year to get the mounts back. I'm already planning to return in 2010 for a Cape Buffalo and a few other species.

Hunting Africa is a tough hunt. The animals are very smart and even at long distances will spook if they hear, see or smell you. So, it takes a lot of patient stalking and a PH that knows what he's doing. My PH and trackers were "Outstanding".

If anyone wants more info, please contact me. I'll be more than happy to assist in any way that I can.

The Second Ammendment Lives on.

Nice photos! That Oryx looks outstanding!

The STW sure is belting those bullets out at high velocity... Real stress test on 'em for sure.

Thanks for sharing. I've got a buddy over there right now, trying for Cape Buff! He did another hunt for plains game there last year, really cleaned up using mostly 180 gr Nosler ballistic tips from his .300 Win mag.

Regards, Guy

Thanks, Guy. Let me know how your buddy does on Buff. Were is he hunting and what outfitter is he using?

I'm returning for a Cape Buffalo in 2010. Since 350 grain bullets is max. for the .375 caliber cartridges, I'm thinking of stepping up to either a .416 Rem. Mag. or a .458 Win. Mag. Which ever caliber I choose, the weapon will have to be "bad weather resistant", as in a synthitic stock and rust-proof receiver and barrel. Remingtron has come out with a new treatment for their stainless steel offerings....called Trinyte Corrosion Control System". Unfortunately, it's only available in their 700 XCR series and the top caliber for that model is the .375 H&H and Ultra Mag. Thier new 700 AWR (Alaskan Wilderness Rifle) is said to have a rust resistant fishish, but no details are given. That model does come in the .416 and .458 calibers. So, as I'm headed to Alaska for brown bear and moose in 2008, I think the weapon I get for Alaska will also do me well for my return trip to Africa.

If anyone has any personal experience regarding the issue of weather-proofings on gun metal, I'd appreciate being educated on the topic.

My guide in Alaska uses a Ruger model #1 in the .416 caliber. He says to only bring what I can shoot comfortably......I agree, but have no experience with the heavier calibers.

I guess I could port the barrel and have a new mercury-piston recoil pad installed, but not sure if both are necessary. Guides normally don't like their clients to bring weapons with ported barrels, due to such an increase in muzzle blast. My gujide in Africa said he'd rather deal with the added decibels, than to have me come under-gunned. The .375 H&H is obvious enough, but when hunting big game that wants to kill you, I think the ole addage, "bigger is better" fits.

The Oryx is nice and should make the SCI book. The Cape Eland though is only 1/2 inch from making Roland and Ward, according to my PH. Regardless, they will all look good in my game room.

Best of hunting.

Back