Nosler CC bullet failure?

Polaris

Handloader
Dec 16, 2009
Had an unexplained miss at the 600 yard mark today in an EIC match, and I can only suspect the bullet. All 19 of my other shots were 8 or better, no freak winds, and I had a center-black call on the break. No crossfires reported, no holes in the "hospital" targets.

Load is 24gr R15, HSM brass, Nos 80gr HPBT, Fed SRmatch. This load has been a consistent performer for me at 300m and 600 yards for the past 2 years. I'm firing it through a .223Wylde chambered Rock River with a 20" 1:8 tube. Shot did not sound or feel soft or heavy. No sign of separation "puff" midrange noticed by anybody.

Anyone else ever have a "crazy" bullet like this? Only thing I can think of is either a severe weight difference, like a 69 grain mixed into the box, or a void or air pocket causing the bullet to veer wildly off-course. Mid-range dissintigration is also a possibility, just wasn't noticed by anyone. I have had this happen with a 6.5 Amax in the Swede, but it left a quite noticeable smoke trace and "poof" part way to the target.

I doubt the .223 could push the 80 grain fast enough to cause it to fall apart in flight unless there was a serious defect in the manufacturing. I've gone through a few thousand CCs in .30 cal, including a feweek hundred SPS seconds. I haven't had any failures in flight.

I suppose it's also not impossible that a lighter bullet got mixed in with the box.

Years ago I had one .30 cal 168 gr HPBT Nosler match bullet come apart in flight - but I'd loaded it out of curiosity. It had an obvious defect in the bullet jacket, like a seam in the bullet jacket. Sure enough, it came apart, about 50 yards out as I recall.

I've seen other bullets come apart enroute to the target as well, but not often. Mostly back about 10-15 years ago when more shooters started messing with fast twist barrels.

Could have been the bullet - but I've got to admit - when I miss the target, I usually blame it on the weak link in my shooting system... Me. :mrgreen:

Regards, Guy

Guy Miner":q567fx1a said:
Could have been the bullet - but I've got to admit - when I miss the target, I usually blame it on the weak link in my shooting system... Me. :mrgreen:

Regards, Guy

That would be my first instinct, but usually my calls are really good, within one clock position and score ring, and that one was definitely center black at the break. Little bit of a fishtail wind, but 2 rings was the most deviation from wind call I got on any of the other 19 shots. I was plunking them in there pretty good, so an outright miss was hard to believe, much less one not even spotted on the full size 600 yard target paper.

Not possible it went into one of the holes already on the target?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alderman":qf88bep0 said:
Not possible it went into one of the holes already on the target?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In highpower competition slow fire, holes are spotted and pasted every shot, so no.

Back