Not very pretty.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
And wont win any shooting matches based on limited testing, but shoots good enough to be a reliable game getter with a pretty good cartridge in my opinion.

Typically hangs on either side of an inch with several thrown together general loads for an 06 with 165 and 180 gr bullets.

The one other time I shot this combo it grouped somewhat tighter with uncrimped bullets than it did this time crimped, but that could've been coincidence don't know.

The nice thing about this setup is using the same point of aim, it will keep 4 and 5 shot groups in the orange dot with 165 gr boat tails and 57gr 4350, and will do the same with 180gr round nose and 56gr 4350. Very surprising to me but it does. Can load up both types and grab what is applicable to where I'm hunting. That covers a lot of bases in an 06.

Beat up stock and scope, and got some pitting on the bottom metal etc, but it doesn't know any better to be embarrassed. :lol:

Well. You won't win prices on the catwalk with it.
But I never had any downed game complain about the looks of my rifle...
So it definetly gained some character building it's reputation.
Edit: just saw it is a Mauser 98.
Those look better with some 'character'. They are tools, not poodles to walk around!

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3a XL mit Tapatalk

If that's a 2 inch dot, whats the problem...? If its smaller than that.... :shock: :) CL

I would not have a single issue carrying that setup in the field.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

cloverleaf":36ucbvym said:
If that's a 2 inch dot, whats the problem...? If its smaller than that.... :shock: :) CL

It's a 2" dot........4 shot group is a tad over 1.25", so not great but doable for a hunting load.

I was more happy that a heavy 180 gr round nose hits the same place as a soft 165 gr boat tail at 100 yds. That covers all kinds of game and situations without any changes.

Gonna check where a stout 180 gr spitzer bullet hits with that 56 gr load.

Back