Peep Sights coming the end !!!

1100 Remington Man

Handloader
May 1, 2007
Went to the range today to try several different brands of .22LR in my Marlin 39A with Williams Peep sight. What I learned My vision is getting where I could not shoot a very small groups the best was around 1.5 inch and worst 4 inch pattern. It depended what the target looked like also. My rifle has had a very small Williams front sight Ivory in color which was hard to see very well on some target styles.
I guess at 59 Years old it was going to happen. I did do very well shooting offhand at steel plates at 50 yards the 10 inch plates were easy and even the 5 inch plates were not So I burned up s a couple hundred goofing around.
The best ammo today was a CCI flat nose bullet. One I had High hopes for was just so so Federal 40gr hunter match ammo.
Winchester HP high velocity was good also but shot about a inch left of the CCI at 50 yards.
I had some older Winchester HP ammo that was Horrible might be the age of it. I guess this is why Guy has a scope on his Model 39

1100 Remington Man":nkgmqvfa said:
Went to the range today to try several different brands of .22LR in my Marlin 39A with Williams Peep sight. What I learned My vision is getting where I could not shoot a very small groups the best was around 1.5 inch and worst 4 inch pattern. It depended what the target looked like also. My rifle has had a very small Williams front sight Ivory in color which was hard to see very well on some target styles.
I guess at 59 Years old it was going to happen. I did do very well shooting offhand at steel plates at 50 yards the 10 inch plates were easy and even the 5 inch plates were not So I burned up s a couple hundred goofing around.
The best ammo today was a CCI flat nose bullet. One I had High hopes for was just so so Federal 40gr hunter match ammo.
Winchester HP high velocity was good also but shot about a inch left of the CCI at 50 yards.
I had some older Winchester HP ammo that was Horrible might be the age of it. I guess this is why Guy has a scope on his Model 39
I used to have a 39a with peep as well, loved that gun, shot so good! Never a misfire, always fed. Great gun!

If the wind doesn’t blow, take to the oars.

I was going over the targets the other day and this was the best CCI .22 LR 40gr. Flat Point. I wish I wish I could raise the point of impact but I ran out of elevation.
I tried several different brands Winchester Federal and CCI. some target some just HP.
Some did ok some 4-5 inch pattern all shooting was done at 50 yards.
I do think I will pick up a larger diameter peep and might change out the front sight to one slightly lower. I like the point of impact to be right at the top of the front bead and not the center of the bead like on theses targets. Sorry middle target is side ways.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    236.9 KB · Views: 340
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    228.1 KB · Views: 340
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    236.9 KB · Views: 340
I have fun with the factory sights on my 39A, and I have had a receiver "peep" sight on it, but... when I get serious about small game or varmint shooting with my 39A, it wears a scope. I just shoot better with a scope. Ah well.

Rifle looks "okay" with the scope on it, and better without it.

But I shoot better with the scope.

Guy

Back