Project Kimberly

mcseal2

Handloader
Nov 1, 2010
I copied this from another forum I posted it on. I couldn't find to much info on re-barreling a Kimber so I figured this may be useful to others. I'm glad I tried it.

6-26 I got a call from the gunsmith yesterday to ask a couple final questions about the project he is finishing for me. I had a Kimber 84L Montana I bought in 280 Ackley that I could never get to shoot like I wanted it to. I bought it used and worried that it might not shoot and that's why it was for sale. The price was low enough I figured it was worth a chance but it ended up not shooting anything I tried, factory Nosler or handloads, much under 3". I really like the feel of the rifle and the lightweight action that is so similar to my Winchester M70 rifles so I kept it around.

I also had a Winchester M70 rifle around with a Pac Nor #3 fluted barrel in 270 win that shot great. I never tried anything except 130 and 140gr Nosler Accubonds in the rifle because it shot both so well. The first load I tried with the 140gr AccuBond shot as good as I can shoot, and I took my best elk with it. The factory Nosler 130gr loads shot even better so I went to them for deer after the elk hunt. The only problem with it was that's its heavier rifle than I want to pack around in the mountains. Also the gunsmith had left the barrel at 25.5" which is more than a 270 needs I think. In the scabbard of my Eberlestock it stuck up past my head further than I liked and caught limbs.

Talking to my gunsmith I came up with the idea of putting this 270 barrel on my Kimber rifle and cutting it down to match the barrel length of the Kimber factory barrel, it's stock sits flush with my head in the scabbard. I think the finished product will be called Kimberly, a re-barreled Kimber designed to fit in my Eberlestock. As an added bonus the gunsmith had been sitting on a #4 contour 24" 25-06 barrel he ordered in for a customer that backed out. He cut me a deal on it and I now my Winchester is a 25-06 that shoots 100gr bullets really well my wife has claimed for her next antelope hunt. I bet it gets packed coyote hunting on some windy days also. He has the Kimber about done now and ready for me to start shooting, can't wait to get it home and ready for this fall.

7-31 Got her home today. Kimberly weighs 6lbs 14oz with the Leupold VXIII 4.5-14x in Talley rings and bases. Hope to shoot her soon!

7-31 Got a little shooting done today, it was to hot to put to many rounds through the rifle. I got it on paper and close with some cheap Winchester ammo. I then let it cool and put 6 of the Nosler 130gr AccuBond loads the barrel had always done well with through it. I shot 2, adjusted, shot 2, adjusted and shot the last 2. The 2 shot groups were all under 1/2". I had to adjust it for windage, overcorrected, and got it perfect with the last 2. They landed on top of each other 2" high and dead center. While not the same as shooting cold barrel 3 shot groups for accuracy I am confident that the barrel still shoots as well as ever on the new rifle. I'll check it one of these days when it cools off with a cold clean barrel, then start trying it out at distances and from field positions.

Thanks guys. I came out good on this little endeavor. I shot a 3 shot group from the 25-06 while out today too that measured .6" with the Barnes Vor-TX 100gr load. I might play with handloading for it after hunting seasons this fall just to save money but I know what bullet it likes.

7-31 The Nosler 270 load averages 2964fps from my barrel so it's not a screamer. Really though I'm fine with that, it is pretty mild on recoil too. I tried some leftover elk handloads I had after my earlier post out of curiosity, they were 140gr AccuBond loads over 4831 that had pushed the heavier bullets almost as fast. They definitely make the little gun jump. I think the 130gr load that doesn't stomp as hard will help me shoot the rifle better. My other project gun came in this week too, a Rifles Inc 300 win mag in a lightweight 70 design of theirs I modified some. With the 300 pushing 180gr accubonds for elk, moose, or black bear the 270 pushing the 130's should be just right for deer and maybe a ram someday. Having the two light rifles they can be each other's back-up rifle on hunts now too.

I got my rifles built now and the gunsmiths aren't getting any more of my money. Haven't drawn a tag since 2013 so I've upgraded gear, glass and guns with my hunting budget. I'm burning points for the next several years and spending the hunting budget on hunting!

8-7 Got Kimberly out and shot the gong today. I shot over the hood of the truck off sandbags at 300, 350, 400, 450, and 500yds one shot at each distance. All shots were hits. All were at or below the center of the 10" gong I put a fresh coat of paint on before starting. I adjusted the scope up 2 clicks for each range and re-shot the 450 and 500yd targets with solid center hits. I adjusted the CDS turret so it should be good to go now. I used my same turret I had from before the barrel was installed on the Kimber and shortened slightly so I'm betting my velocity a little lower. Nosler BC's are usually pretty optimistic too and that's what the turret was built off of. Anyway the rifle is doing very well and I can't wait to get it in the field this fall. I'll do lots more practice shooting from field positions between now and then, bench work is pretty well done.

Sounds like a plan was completed with success and the rifle is producing good accuracy for you.
Good job but where's the pictures? :mrgreen:

I need to be smart enough to get them to upload, which I'm apparently not.

mcseal2":1ciprsmm said:
I need to be smart enough to get them to upload, which I'm apparently not.
I take them with my cell phone and email them to myself and down load them on the computer and up load them from there. I like that better than photo bucket.

I'll try that when I get back, headed to Wyoming to scout for a muley hunt!

Keith, that new 270 sounds great. I've got a decent itch for a lightweight 270 myself. I'm glad you got all the rifles up and shooting. They sound excellent.

Can't beat a good shooting 270.

Thanks, I'm hoping to get one of the guns tested this fall. After scouting the muley unit and seeing the open slopes and distances that may be involved I might take the new 270 as back-up or if I end up having to go in the thick stuff after the deer. I think my 264WM I've used for years might be my primary due to ranges being longer and me knowing how that rifle shoots so well. It ain't broke, might not fix it this trip!

Back