Pulled the trigger - Win 70 Safari Express 375

idahohunter8

Beginner
May 7, 2015
Well I did it, went down to Sportsmans and put on layaway a new Winchester 70 Safari Express in 375 H&H...This is a really solid rifle. They only had one, which was good for me as the trigger on this rifle was amazing and it was hidden in the back corner - no handling or show marks.

Don't know what I am going to use it for but I do plan to put in for moose next year, maybe ill carry it for elk or deer just cause. My only problem with that is it will be a 10 pound package hiking around 8-9000ft Idaho Wilderness.

Looking at a minox za5 HD 1.2-6X 30 MM or possibly a 1.75-6x32 Leupold in talley lightweight ringmounts.

Plan to play around with reloader 15 and 260 noslers and maybe 250 Barnes TTSX

They are lovely rifles--well built with excellent fit and finish. The .375 H&H is a great cartridge that gives you an excuse to hunt about anything anywhere in the world. Congratulations on picking up this rifle.

The 250 gr TTSX and 260 gr AccuBond can handle anything on this continent easily. Don't overlook the 235 gr Speer for a cheaper practice load, it is actually surprisingly tough if you want to turn it loose on a critter. Don't have any experience with the 225 gr Hornady but I would bet it would be as good as the 235 gr Speer.

Congratulations on that new Model 70 :wink: I am sure you are going to enjoy that 375 H & H it is a great calibre :mrgreen:.
I shot one exclusively for almost 10 years using the 235gr. speers it did every that I ever wanted!!
Can't wait for photos & a range report (y). What glass are you going to put on top?

Blessings,
Dan

Congrats... A Model 70 in 375 H&H... Not sure how it could get much better..

You could shed a little weight cutting it down to 20". The H&H is amazingly efficient in a 20" tube. The 260 AccuBond is a great bullet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've used the 250gr Sierra's with great success on 6 elk, several deer, and 8 African animals up to a Kudu in size in my 375 H&H Improved (375-358STA). I shoot them 3080fps and have shot elk over 600yds with them. My Kudu was 515yds. You might consider a 2x10 Zeiss or a 2x12 VX6 Leupold too. 2x is plenty low enough for hunting everything with the exception of bears at close range or African dangerous game.

I have found the Nosler 260 Partition bullet to be surprisingly accurate at 300yds in my 375 Ruger and 378 WBY. Seems like the "go to" bullet for many 375 shooters.

Good deal! I know you will enjoy it. I shot the 235X and Nosler 260PT out of the Express I lugged around "one day", ha. It shot cloverleafs though with both. I've had people say "might as well use a 338WM if going that light". what they never seem to figure out is even a lwt 235-250 .375 bullet "makes a bigger hole"! I've killed elk with the 185XLC/338WM, and all kinds of plains game with the 200X out of my Whelen AI! Just have a ball and you never know...you could end up either in Texas hunting exotics ( they have eland there too!) and big hogs or Africa even, for whatever. If you haven't done it already, read a bunch of John "Pondoro" Taylor's books...he practically "swoons" when he wrties of the 375 H&H, ha. Happy for you dude!

sask boy":2nhrw01w said:
What glass are you going to put on top?

Blessings,
Dan

While I have never been too much of a leupold fan, they are offering $100 mail in rebates on all VX-3's purchased Nov. 15-Dec.31, so at this point I am really leaning towards a VX3 2.5-8X36 Matte Duplex...For basically $300 after rebate, not sure I could do much better and nothing beats it for eye relief.

idahohunter8":2x3pyxw2 said:
sask boy":2x3pyxw2 said:
What glass are you going to put on top?

Blessings,
Dan

While I have never been too much of a leupold fan, they are offering $100 mail in rebates on all VX-3's purchased Nov. 15-Dec.31, so at this point I am really leaning towards a VX3 2.5-8X36 Matte Duplex...For basically $300 after rebate, not sure I could do much better and nothing beats it for eye relief.

I had one of those 2.5-8x Leupolds on a hunting rifle that I long since sold. Don't miss the rifle, but the scope was GREAT!

Many years ago noted hunter & author Finn Aagaard wrote that he was very impressed with that scope - and I took note of that. Really ought to get another one... It would be perfect on my .30-06 general purpose rifle...

Guy

I've had ( and still do) many 2.5x8 Leupolds, many on hard kickers too! I'm talking 416 Remington and 375 Weatherby loaded hot! The only problem I ever had was on a braked, 5# MGM 340W kicked the guts out of one, but it did it to a Zeiss conquest right after too! ha It was the "air rifle piston type" secondary actionof the brake that did it. My current 2.5x8 is a few years old and has been on many rifles. As mentioned, I used them on several 375 H&H I used for elk.

Back