Quite a day yesterday (10/24/2015)

tddeangelo

Handloader
May 18, 2011
***Long post warning***

Oct. 22, 23, 24 were an early doe season here in PA, and junior hunters (16 and under) and senior hunters (65 and older) could use rifles, but only for doe. No bucks could be taken with the rifle.

Megan has been waiting for this season since last year's regular rifle season.

I took her to the range recently, and she was shooting really well out to 100 yards off the bench. I had her shoot two shots, and they literally overlapped right on target at 100 yards. The girl can shoot.

So, armed with lots of intel from hunting the archery season (which runs from mid-Sept to the weekend after Thanksgiving), I knew does were frequenting a grass field where I hunt. The stand they came by most often was on a "funnel" where the field would narrow down considerably, giving her a 30 yard shot if the deer appeared. They'd been super regular at this spot, and my dad and I both thought this would be a slam dunk to at least get her a chance.

The first day was warm. Temps were near 80 on the way to the stand. Here's Megan on stand:

E5707A3E-38FF-4159-B812-5C8EF7E382E9_zpsspoktd7d.jpg

We did see two does and two bucks that evening, all out at 200 yards, plus, but she saw deer and was happy.

The next day we went to the same spot, and saw all the same deer again, in all the same places. No shot, all were either bucks or too far away.

I left it up to Megan as to what she wanted to do Saturday AM. Initially she didn't want to get up early, so I had planned to bowhunt on a different property that I just got access to, and haven't had a chance to hunt much just yet. After two nights of watching deer she couldn't shoot, Megan was itching to get into the action, so she wanted to go Sat. AM.
Temps were in the mid-30's, which isn't awful, but we haven't had real cold here yet, so it was a little chilly to go out in those temps.

I got her up at 5AM and we headed out on time. We were in the stand before 6:30, which shooting light coming in around 7.

At somewhere around 6:45/6:50, I saw a shape far out in the field we were watching. I thought it might be a deer, but just figured it was my imagination playing with me in the predawn darkness. The next time I looked at that spot a minute or two later, the shape was still there, but had moved. I put up the glasses, and sure enough, it was a deer, headed straight for us. I thanked God that I had a good pair of bino's, as I saw the little antlers over 100 yards out and still before legal shooting time, which meant Megan had to "stand down" on this one. The deer was all over the field in front of us, coming as close as about 55-60 yards, wandering around feeding. He was there well into legal light, and were it regular rifle season, she'd likely have been able to get a shot at him.

Then we didn't see anything for a long while. As direct sunlight started lighting up the tops of trees, I was trying to decide when we were going to quit for the morning. We had to be home around 9, and it was about 7:30-7:45. Around 8, Megan spotted some deer far out, and we watched them head for bed, never getting inside of 185 yards. They were a little too far for Megan.

A few minutes after they left, a beauty of an 8pt showed up. Megan was amazed just watching him. He was no monster, but a solid 2.5 yr old, and one worth serious consideration for shooting here. I know I would have happily used my tag on him if I were able.

It was 8:15 or so and I was standing up to stretch and think about when to call it a morning when I saw deer. They were to the left and in range, but Megan is a left-handed shooter and I wasn't sure she could even switch to shoot righty without getting busted moving. They were headed the right direction to get into an open spot where she could shoot, though. When they were out of site for a few minutes, I had Megan get ready.

The 2 or 3 minutes it took for the deer to emerge seemed like an eternity, but they did come out. The big doe was first out, and Megan was on the ball, already tracking her in the scope and resting her rifle on the shooting rail. I asked if she was ready. Immediate "yes!"

The doe was at 100 yards, and slightly quartering away. I bleated. No reaction. Bleated louder, no reaction, still walking. Whistled. No reaction, but about to walk behind some brush, and she turned and quartered a bit more away from us. Megan said she was ready, I said, "Do it." BANG!

The deer hit the deck like a sack of potatoes. And couldn't get it's feet. I watched it for a moment, and told Megan to reload. Since she's lefty shooting a righty rifle, she was fumbling. I got a fresh shell loaded for her and handed the rifle back. She hesitated, afraid of a miss. She was amped in the moment and I couldn't explain to her that at this point, just get another bullet in that deer!

The deer was down for a good 20+ seconds when it found its feet and was up and gone. Dang it!

We gave her about 15 minutes and then I got down and found the spot of the hit. There was some blood, and it looked ok, thought I saw bubbles, so I felt like this might be ok.

I worked hard to find more blood, but I did find hair on broken brush and followed torn up leaves and such to a sparse bit of blood. And this continued. I backed out when I heard deer get up and run ahead of me. We had errands to run, and it was only in the low 40's.

We came back around 2 and took up the trail. I got us as far as about 200 yards from the shot, with blood petering out and looking a lot like a muscle wound, with the bubbles I thought I saw before having congealed into solid fat. I found chunks of fat in the blood, too.

I pulled up a pic of a deer in about the same position as her shot on my iPhone and had her point to where she saw the crosshairs when the rifle went off. I did this with several pictures, several times. Each time, she pointed right on or slightly to the front edge of the shoulder, but the deer was quartering away, and she said she felt the shot may have been a little to the right of where she intended, too. Crap. She didn't adjust for the angle of the deer, which was quartering away pretty good at that point.

So, with a heavy heart, but many lessons learned, I took her off the trail, and told her I doubted very much the deer was dead. We were dressed lightly for tracking duties, but her rifle was in the truck. We went back and got it and talked with my friend Dana who had brought his grandson to hunt as well. Dana told Megan to pick the stand she wanted, and Megan picked. We went there, Dana took his grandson to the stand Megan and I had hunted the prior two nights.

About 6 o'clock we were getting chilly from our light clothing and the dropping temps. The wind was wrong, we were in blue jeans, and it was threatening to rain. Megan said, "This just seems dumb. We're not dressed for this, it's cold, and the wind is wrong. Maybe we should just go home early tonight." I said, "Megan, sometimes I've had the most luck on days when everything seems to be wrong, let's try and stick it out."

About 5 minutes later, we heard something that wasn't the horde of squirrels we were used to hearing. This was something I recognized instantly. We had a deer coming in straight behind us in thick brush.

"Megan, be still. Don't move, don't turn, don't breathe loudly."

We sat and listened. The steps came closer, closer...seemed like the thing would be up the ladder with us soon if it came any closer.

Then it turned and sounded like it would come out to our right.

"Megan, get ready to shoot lefty." She did. Then the footsteps stopped entirely. Oh crap.

We didn't hear steps for at least 5 minutes. I'd sort of given up, but was telling her to stay still and quiet and be alert.

More time went by. No sound. I was figuring it must of have just been a squirrel that fooled me. Then we heard it! It was moving again, heading to come out to our left.

"Megan, you gotta shoot righty." She switched to that setup.

"Get the rifle up and ready. Look through the scope to be sure you're all set." She did as I told her. The steps were getting really, really close.

Finally I saw movement just before the deer came out of the brush. It was close. Really close.

The small doe stepped into the field right at the 30 yard marker my father had set up for bow season. She went out a few steps, looked dead away from us, and was perfectly broadside.

"Shoot her through the shoulders, Megan."

Pause....she settled herself...then "BOOM!"

The deer staggered, stumbled to it's left and struggled back toward the woods just a few feet away. It never made it into those woods, toppling where I saw it hit the deck, but Megan didn't.

I gave her a big hug, said, "Great shot, Megan! You did it!"

Having had the experience of the morning, she was sketchy about believing me. I tossed our seat cushions out of the stand and started securing my pack. I'd already cleared her rifle.

"Megan, I saw it drop. You got it." She still wasn't really believing it.

We got down, I walked to where I thought it should be, and was rewarded with the sight every hunter loves...a white belly in the weeds.

Another big hug and congrats, and I won't be ashamed to admit it, I got the shakes something fierce. Worse than with any deer of my own that I've ever killed. Even Megan noticed it, although her own case of the shakes was progressing quickly, lol.

I couldn't stop smiling. I'd been so nervous on every approach of every deer....I've never felt that much of a rush when hunting on my own. Ever.

Snapped a few pics, then the work began.

Tonight we feasted on tenderloins from the deer fresh off the grill. And they were the best tenderloins I've ever had.

Some pictures:

Megan with her deer

DSCN3883_zpspmk1pm6f.jpg

(Sorry for the flash, I forgot my little tripod and couldn't get a clear pic with no flash.)

Post-mortem....

Entrance wound

7DE86A03-53CF-4A8D-9DE3-4CBA8A931156_zpsflodkcju.jpg

Exit wound

7ABF09D2-D6D2-4456-8179-832F20E16F3B_zpsdivbahc1.jpg

She was shooting my featherweight 257 Roberts with a 100gr Partition at 2650fps. The shot distance was 30 yards, to her left (shooting right-handed).

So my daughter is now on the board, too. And she's raring to go for full rifle season in hopes of getting a buck, and we've seen enough of them to think she may very well do it! Hopefully more pics in December!

And, one footnote- that rifle is a FWT XTR M70 in 257 Bob, and she's the 4th generation of my family to kill a deer with that rifle. Pretty cool....

Great job on her first deer congrats, I can just about taste that deer from here :)

Tom,

Congratulations to Megan. Way to go girl!
Your guide did a great job too.

JD338

Tom, Megan did very well indeed. Every hunter has had an animal that managed to get its feet and disappear. You demonstrated good ethics in staying on the trail until it was obvious that the deer had survived. Megan's persistence paid off. Congratulations to both of you. What a great story of a new hunter's first game animal.

Those FWT-XTR rifles were pretty darned good guns in my experience. Have never seen one that wouldn't shoot well. Yours is the first one I have heard of in .257 Bob - sounds like it did the trick!

Seeing that first timers smile after they have taken their first animal is incomparable!

Dale

Thanks, everyone.

I do think that rifle will be hers some day, but in the mean time I'll get her a left handed rifle. Just not sure what to get yet, but we will figure it out. I have three daughters and my middle one is not showing any interest at 10 of wanting to hunt. The youngest is, however, so when she's older I may get her to use the same 257 to make her start too.

Their great-grandfather would be happy.

Congratulations Megan on a fine Whitetail that will make some fine table fare this fall & winter..
Photographs show a huge smile and in that memories that will last a life time, great to see (y)!!
Thank you for sharing..

Blessings,
Dan

Tom,
Thanks for sharing the story, congrats to your daughter and great job guiding her.
I enjoy hunting with my daughter even though she is a grown woman now. Our deer season last year was unbelievable. We killed two 8-pointers from the same tree stand, while sitting together, 5-minutes apart. It was Kelsey's first buck. Lots of tears of joy were shed that morning along with some quiet shouting! :mrgreen:

Don

Well, Megan has a new rifle on the way. I sent a check yesterday for left-handed M70 Classic Sporter in 7mmWSM. While it's a lot of potential recoil, initial looks at load data tell me I can bring it to 7-08 territory and she can handle that. I think I'll order a PAST shield as some insurance for the range. For hunting, she won't notice recoil. Even she said as much after shooting her deer.

Now I have to figure out how the scope roulette needs to be conducted to knock loose a scope for the kid without breaking up sighted/prepped rifle combos that are ready for the fast-approaching season. She might wind up with one of my Meopta's or a Swaro on it, and I'm not sure I'm ready to give up either on a permanent basis, even to my kid! lol

The rifle comes with Talley Lightweights on it. Lanman helped me locate some brass, another helpful individual secured dies, so I just need to get some more H4895 for reduced loads and some 120BT's and we're in business.

She doesn't know....her birthday is on 11/10, and it's a surprise. Should be a good one. I'll get video if I can. :)

Oh, c'mon, Tom. Give here one of your Swaros. You only have a few years to enjoy her company at home; give her your best.

DrMike":3lgz6sx8 said:
Oh, c'mon, Tom. Give here one of your Swaros. You only have a few years to enjoy her company at home; give her your best.

Congrats to Megan and her 1st deer..

Gotta agree with the Doc on this. Give her the best you can the first time around. With the 7mm WSM, she'll probably never need another rifle. Well, till she figures out how good a McM Edge would lighten it up for her... :grin:

I actually thought of doing just that, but I want it for my pre64 270 because the Meopta on the 270 doesn't fit real well. The Meopta's have a chunky ocular, where the Swaro Z3 is more svelte.

I also have thought of having her earn the money to get a scope of her own, as I feel there's value in not giving them EVERYTHING. Much as I groused about my father being that way with me, I learned how to creatively fund my hobbies, and those are lessons that obtained this rifle for Megan.

By the way, the girl also has a Benelli Montefeltro 20ga as well. She has no idea how good she has it.

My priority now is to get the rifle rigged and a load sorted out for 200 yard shots for 11/30. That's the goal.

And Scotty, I already have thought about a Mickey on this rifle. I may talk with her when she's old enough to get a job and have her be involved in that.

tddeangelo":1mq7tfp6 said:
I actually thought of doing just that, but I want it for my pre64 270 because the Meopta on the 270 doesn't fit real well. The Meopta's have a chunky ocular, where the Swaro Z3 is more svelte.

I also have thought of having her earn the money to get a scope of her own, as I feel there's value in not giving them EVERYTHING. Much as I groused about my father being that way with me, I learned how to creatively fund my hobbies, and those are lessons that obtained this rifle for Megan.

By the way, the girl also has a Benelli Montefeltro 20ga as well. She has no idea how good she has it.

My priority now is to get the rifle rigged and a load sorted out for 200 yard shots for 11/30. That's the goal.

And Scotty, I already have thought about a Mickey on this rifle. I may talk with her when she's old enough to get a job and have her be involved in that.
Tom, one of the members here has a nice Meopta Meopro 3.5-10 for sale here that won't brake the bank and be a nice fit for her rifle. Not mine but it would be if the bank wasn't low on funds. :lol:

I knew there was something I really liked about Megan! She is a lefty well that shows that even being forced to use a rifle with a broken bolt she got the job done :mrgreen:, good for you Megan (y) .
Tom, all kidding a side the 7mm WSM is great calibre and she will be able to hunt just about everything in North America.
The Meopta is a darn good scope and at the price here on the forum it is at least a very good starter scope which maybe Megan could upgrade in a few years when she on her own & working.
Love to see young people taking up this great sport.

Blessings,
Dan

I would love to acquire that Meopta for her rifle, but I had to reach to get the rifle in the first place. Despite a fantastic price on that scope, it's not in the treasury to snag it or I would. The rifle comes with Talleys, just needs an optic.

Megan is similar to me in that she's cross-dominant. She's actually right-handed, but left-eye dominant. She shoots best left-handed, but because she's right handed, she's comfortable shooting righty. She just has to shut her left eye. I can do likewise, but in reverse. I'm left-handed but right-eye dominant.

Back