R92 44Mag - Range Report

KinleyWater

Handloader
Jun 15, 2019
Thought I would just drop a quick report on a new R92 I picked up the other day (sorry, no pics). So, I have the Rossi R92 16 inch stainless in 44 Mag. I shot about 40 rounds through it today, all commercial stuff, just to see how it was and if it would shoot. All shooting except one group was done from standing offhand.

WWB 240 SJHP, 25 yards - grouped ~3 inches/ 5 shots (repeated for a total of 10)
LAX Ammo 240 plated, 25 yards - grouped ~5 inches/ 5 shots (repeated for a total of 10)
Fiocci 240 SJFP, 25 yards - grouped ~2-3 inched/ 5 shots (repeated for a total of 10)
Fiocci 240 SJFP, 50 yards - grouped ~7 inches/ 5 shots
Fiocci 240 SJFP, 50 yards *seated* - grouped ~5 inches 5/ shots

So, nothing spectacular, and nothing abysmal (except the LAX, perhaps). I think if I were to slow down a bit, put more rounds through it, and just get a bit more comfortable, I could close most of those groups down. Shooting this rifle is a bit like shooting an AK platform by how the sights are set up - in both cases forward of the receiver, modest sight radius, bead and buckhorn (as opposed to blade and notch). Recoil was fine; very mild with the LAX and surprisingly brisk with the WWB.

The rifle seems well made, with nice redwood (or redwood colored) furniture, and good polished stainless everything else. I had some feeding and ejecting issues, which I expect will clear up once the rifle gets a bit of a workout and I get a bit more used to it (I know some where shooter induced).

Overall, I think I really like it. For me walking though close woods, sitting in a blind, or in a stand, I think this will be a dandy rifle. My original plan to work up powerhouse loads for it has gone by the wayside, and I think I will focus on just building a good, middle of the road load for rifle and pistol. No need to prove anything here, I think it has plenty to get the job done as is.

Sounds like you have a fun little thumper. A 44 Mag with a 240 gr JHP from a carbine length barrel is quite decisive on WT deer.

JD338

I think the pistol caliber, 73s; 92s and the like are some of the most fun rifles to shoot. Thanks for your report and I’m glad you got out.

Thanks! I'm hoping to use it this fall, and if I do, and I'm successful, I'll post another report.

Back