Range day with new rifles

tjen

Handloader
Apr 25, 2007
I finaly had a clam day to shoot my new 700/223 rem and my just purchased used 221 Rem limited run 700.

I used Lapua brass, BR4 primers, Benchmark powder, and Berger 52gr HPV bullets. My work up loads increased in 0.3gr incraments starting at 24.0grs with three of each powder charge. The 24.0gr grouped at .75", the 24.3gr at .4",the 24.6gr at .35", the 24.9gr at .078" and the 25.2gr at .75". Velocity for the 24.9gr/.078" was 3264fps and the 25.2gr was 3342fps. It is not a compressed load but I would guess about 98% since you can hear the powder when shaken.

I like that accuacy right at the start and getting better. The St.-Dev.followed the accuracy curve as well. That 24.9grs is my load and hope with shot brass it is still close. The OCL was 2.250" +/- .002" with is about .027" off the lands. I am very happy this a stock 700 SPS/SS with a B&C medilist stock.

Switched to the 221 rem with rem's 50gr ammo. Two shots showed +3" and R 1/4". Made adjustments for a 100 yards zero and put a 3-shot group of .35" on the target. I am glad it shoots tight since its a used gun the lead may have been worked on for longer OCL. It seems to be about .140" with the beger 40gr HPV I used if set to 1.830" OCL.

I have some Hornady 45gr spire points to try because they have the same velocity range as their 50/55gr super explosive bullets do. The 40gr and 45gr weight bullets should work well in the 221. Sierra dose make a 45gr but it is built for the 22-250 as I hear it. Lilgun and AA1680 are the powders I have at hand so they get the first try.

Sounds as if you have a couple of fine shooters in these rifles. Congratulations.

The SPS has the adjustable trigger. I ran it in full which is suposed to be 3 1/2 lbs, than back off 1/2 turn for a estimated 3 lb pull. I will try to back off another 1/2 turn for a 2 1/2 lb pull. I filled the protuding part of the screw that your trigger finger hits smooth so I will have to do that again. Its a nice trigger but may be a jewell will get put in this summer. I think it proved to be a accurate barrel and it must have a small chamber too. I can't see or feel any case expansion forword of the web area.

I loaded up the rest of the batch (50) new cases with the 24.9gr load. Sometimes a fired case requires an extra 0.1-0.2grs to do what the unfired case did depending on the size of the case. I am only neck sizing. Now I have twenty 221rem cases to make work up loads with tonight.

Sound like you're o your way buddy!

Great! :wink:

tjen,

Nicely done! You have a couple of shooters for sure.
I have always liked that lil' 221 Fireball. I have always thought it would be great for hunting urban coyotes.

JD338

What do you think about the 45gr bullets? There are only two pointed bullets I know of the Hornady spire point made for the hornet, and the Sierra 45 varminter which is a stout bullet but my work fine on yote in the 221 if it performs like a controled expansion big game bullet.

I have not done the math yet but the 45 spire has a .202 BC same as the 40gr HPV I am thinking the 45 should have an edge in momentum for penitration. May be its a wash same BC but one is faster so flatter.

Back