Range Disappointment

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Wow - what a disappointment.

Went to the range today with my 6mm Creedmoor, Ruger Precision Rifle. The club was holding a 2-hour "practice" session from 10 to noon. I helped set up the fancy acoustic targets. Yes... Learned all about them. Helped put up the wind flag.

Watched the first relay shoot. Saw how the shots post on a tablet, electronically, instead of being marked by hand.... I'd never seen that. Pretty slick.

I went up to the line, set up my gear and my rifle. Got down in prone... And tweaked my damaged neck so badly I had to pack up and leave the range. The pain was intense. Never even shot a single round.

Sigh. I'd been prepping for this range trip for a couple of weeks. I haven't competed in several years and was looking forward to getting back in to prone competition at 600 - 1,000 yards.

So... Couple of options:

1. I'm going to work on my prone position and see if I can come up with some variation that doesn't "scrunch up" my neck so badly. I'd love to compete prone again.

2. There is a heavy concrete bench on the 600 yard line that I am free to use if I so desire. My scores won't count and won't be official, but at least I'd be back shooting with the guys.

I've no problem shooting from sitting or standing, but these matches are prone.

Grumbling a bit about this. I was at one point, very competitive in prone/long-range matches.

Guy

Don't know what to tell you Guy.
If I got down in the prone I would have to have a crane to get me back up.
Bad knees won't take the pressure and need to hold on to something and pull myself up.

Sorry, didn't mean to make two of these posts. Can't delete it now.

Back