Reloading Manuals Must Have

ldg397

Handloader
Sep 27, 2007
I would say overall I am fairly new to reloading starting the last 15 years. I have a couple of manuals namely the Barnes #4 and the Nosler #6. I have been prepping to start loading 308 Norma which it isn’t in any of my manuals. So I acquired a Norma manual but didn’t realize it only has Norma powders. However, after reviewing it I really like the manual and think I will keep it.

So basically I have a several part question.

1. For 308 Norma which manual has the most information.

2. Are the older manuals better as far as less conservative or lawyered up. Would it be beneficial to get one like a Hodgdon #26 or something similar?

3. I was wondering what manuals you can’t live without. If you could only keep one in your collection which would it be??

My Nosler Reloading Guide #4 has a section covering the .308 Norma, as does my older Hodgons Manual. I am sure some of the newer ones do also. Hodgons online "Reloading Data Center" has information, as well as an internet search provides data from other powder companies, and articles and references for loading. It's really a clone of the .300 WM except for the neck length. What is it you are missing?
Your Questions
1. I don't know.
2. I think that there are two components here, in my youth the data provided was provided by far less sophisticated processes than that available in later years. Of course "product liability" is a facet of our lives and must be considered, when providing information regarding powders. Todays powders are also slightly different that 50 years ago.
3. My PO Ackley, Nosler, and Hodgons.

I have been loading since the early 1960's, and was a hot rodder in my early years, not so now.

Hope I helped.

I picked up a used Nosler #2 and #3. About 10 each delivered.
And a Nosler #9.

I was expecting to see recipes with more grains.. the spot check I did was they were the same.. I didn’t notice a step change from lawyers. Not saying it didn’t happen, just saying I didn’t find the changes on the powders and cartridges I looked at.

Quickload seems to have the best recipes. They tell you expected grains and expected pressures. I. My guns, it feels right. Magneto speed verifying velocities. I have a couple guns that seem to always be fast...but there’s that are as predicted.

I did like an old Lyman manual as I found recipes for obsolete cartridges.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hodgdon's on-line reloading manual lists loads for the 308 Norma Mag with bullets from 100gr - 220gr.

Thank you for the information on the 308 Norma. I typically use Hodgdon powders for just about everything as I need the temp nonsensitivity. I have found the info at Hodgdon website and will print it.

The other part of my question was mainly that I prefer the manuals to online like to have it in front of me I guess. Wanted to add to my collection of books. I rarely use my Barnes book and use the Nosler most of the time. Is it worth while to buy previous versions? I understand buying newer versions to pick up new calibers and powders.

Sounds like it would be worthwhile to pick up an old Hodgdon manual since that is what I use most of the time and I don’t use many new calibers. Are the speed, Lyman Hornady just duplications of the Nosler and I won’t find them useful?

Hodgdon publishes an "Annual Manual" that looks like a thick magazine, not a traditional book.

It's updated yearly, with some great articles as well as all that load info, complete with pressures.

You'll note that these days, they include data for more than just Hodgdon powders! :) I pick up the Annual Manual every couple of years. Often avail wherever hunting & shooting magazines are sold, but also avail via mail order/online.

It's the same load data that's available for free from their online site, but I like having the paper copy, and also appreciate the articles.

I'd think that between the Nosler Reloading Manual, and the Hodgdon data, you'd be quite good to go. Looks like several ways of getting a 180 gr bullet to 2900 - 3000 fps. :) That's good stuff.

Regards, Guy

The speed is a little tricky as sometimes they use different barrel lengths.. so the velocity observed may not may not reflect the manual. The manual is a starting point and if I want to calculate trajectory, I’d chrono it and verify.

I haven’t found the old manuals useful except for the obsolete cartridges. One example is a 303 Savage I loaded for a friend. We were lucky the barrel was a 308 barrel. Some early model 99’s had a 310 barrel, so slugging the barrel is a good practice for unknown 99’s.

I used to be a paper guy until I lost all my manuals and notes which were extensive.. to a flood caused by successive dam failures in May.
I have a new binder and am keeping notes,but also putting them in files on the cloud so I don’t loose everything a second time to flood waters.

I have the Nosler manuals ( Editions 2,3 and 9). I bought the Electronic Hornady manual and Sierra manual. I use my phone and iPad for them. I have to say, while I like paper, it’s very convenient to look something up quick no matter if I’m near my bench or not.

I don’t know which was worse, losing my data or my equipment. Most of it was submerged for 3 days. Water hit the 500 year flood plain... so anything that was untreated steel and not stainless rusted. Electronics were all toasted...

Learn how to use the cloud.

The dams were over 100 years old and had performed fine and if they had been managed with common sense instead of lawsuits... this would not have happened. My personal loss was 6 figures and I’m 9 miles from the nearest dam. This wasn’t a scenario a normal person would imagine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 308 Norma is pretty much an obsolete chambering these days. No warts on it, but it's just not real popular. If you find 30-338 data it is said to be somewhat interchangeable, at least the start loads. I looked at Hodgdon #27 which is the last real loading manual they put out before going to the annual magazine type format & the data is exactly the same as in their #21 from 1970 without the discontinued H570 data. Sierra #2, #3, & #6 manuals have what looks like repeated data, Hornady has repeated data in #3 & 4, but some slightly newer data in #10, Lyman #47 has data while #50 has none. Nosler #s 1 thru 4 have varying amounts of sometimes repeated data with #4 likely being the most useful of the bunch. There is some data in the new Speer #15, but nothing with newer powders. The data is slightly different from their #7 & I'm too lazy to look at the ones in between. Also, if you can find a copy of Ken Waters' Pet Loads or a July 1972 Handloader magazine, you can get Ken's thoughts on the Norma.

Your question #3 would be my results book. It has a record of everything, good bad or mediocre, back to when I started keeping records.

ldg397":1xng934f said:
I would say overall I am fairly new to reloading starting the last 15 years. I have a couple of manuals namely the Barnes #4 and the Nosler #6. I have been prepping to start loading 308 Norma which it isn’t in any of my manuals. So I acquired a Norma manual but didn’t realize it only has Norma powders. However, after reviewing it I really like the manual and think I will keep it.

So basically I have a several part question.

1. For 308 Norma which manual has the most information.

2. Are the older manuals better as far as less conservative or lawyered up. Would it be beneficial to get one like a Hodgdon #26 or something similar?

3. I was wondering what manuals you can’t live without. If you could only keep one in your collection which would it be??

Hornady X and Sierra Vl Manual have loading data for 308 Norma mag. I think you can get data on line may have to pay for it. Just looking, Hornady has better selection of powder, both use Norma case.

Thanks for the info guys. May try to pick up a Hornady X, Nosler 4 and maybe a Hodgdon 25 or 26.

I am only 45 so I know how to use the computer, the cloud or anything else. I just prefer a hardback book. I already have the most recent Hodgdon magazine and pages are already coming out. I appreciate all the experience and information thanks.

I like having manuals myself but also rely on QL as well and researching load data from the powder companies and bullet companies as well.

As 30-338 mentioned Sierra has good data for the 308 Norma Mag along with some of the older Noslers. I wouldn’t go out and buy the older manuals myself for that data. Newer powders are out there and a simple 10 second QL projection or two will really give you great data to work with in your rifle.

Can't go wrong with Norma's manual for the Norma cartridges.

The 'lawyered up' nonsense is exactly that; nonsense. Manuals nearly all conduct actual pressure testing now. Many to most of them did not in the past. When you get real pressure testing, you come to realize the fantastical dreamland that people like Ackley and Keith tried to live in, and you back your data off to conform with industry-standard pressure limits.

I take the third question to mean: What manual is very well-rounded; what one has more than just data; what one also teaches you _how_ to handload; what one also teaches you what to watch for; what one also teaches you some theory. Lyman does a good job with that, and also has extremely broad-ranging data. Speer at least used to do all that, and so did Hornady. Norma does that pretty well, but it has less data than most of the American brands.

I use the Lee Manual more than any one manual I have.It is a copy and paste of other manuals and shows more loads.Here is an example of one of the pages

Attachments

• 20161230_071948_HDR_resized.jpg
    20161230_071948_HDR_resized.jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 285
Back