Rifle Bullet recommendations 7mm-08, and ,25-06 (please)

mag41vance said:
What Nosler bullets do you recommend for 1-10 twist .25-06 (whitetails)

and................................................. 1-9-1/4" twist 7mm-08 (whitetails)

Can't speak to the 25-06 but for my 7mm-08's I always used the 150-gn Partition for deer. That's partly because neither would shoot my first choice, the 140-gn Partition. It always worked great.

I've sort of switched to .358 for deer; otherwise I bet I'd be using Accubonds now in 7mm-08, either 140's or 150's.

-jeff

texas_shooter":2uue7bzv said:
I have shot the Barnes 140gr TSX and the Nosler 140gr AccuBond. They both have excellent terminal qualities, however the AccuBond has proven to be a little more accurate out of my rifle. It's a Rem 700 "Mountain" 7mm-08.

Hey, I have one of those! Neat package. Mine is the LSS version since it rains a lot over here. I've killed two blacktail bucks with it. It's been sort of mothballed lately as I 've been on a magnum kick (no pun intended!) but you guys have got me fired up to get it going again. I even went and bought some 120-gn BT's! My hunting load for 7mm-08 had always been a 150-gn Partition, but for some reason that little ballistic tip sounds interesting.

-jeff

Don't let anyone fool you on the 120 Ballistic Tip, it is much tougher than the 140. Any body that thinks otherwise hasn't tried them.

I'm pushing them out of my 280 at 3230 fps and always get full penetration on deer, shot my elk with the same bullet this year at 60 yds, no I didn't get full penetration but it went through the onside leg and took out the heart, piled him up in less than 10 yds. Not my recomended bullet for elk but its what I had at the time. i have a picture comparing the jacket of the 120 to the 140. The 120 is quite a bit stouter.

Here is a few links discussing the 120 BT

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread ... ost1075612

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread ... ost1097828

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread ... t/all/vc/1

bluedot":29ht0wyg said:
Don't let anyone fool you on the 120 Ballistic Tip, it is much tougher than the 140. Any body that thinks otherwise hasn't tried them.

I'm pushing them out of my 280 at 3230 fps and always get full penetration on deer, shot my elk with the same bullet this year at 60 yds, no I didn't get full penetration but it went through the onside leg and took out the heart, piled him up in less than 10 yds.

Very interesting!! I bought a box of 'em to try in my 7mm-08 based on this thread. Maybe I'll get out and shoot them today. Thanks for the inspiration!

-jeff

Dad loads his 7mag. down to 2950 or so with 130 Grn speers. Thats the only thing he shoots and they a phenomenolly deadly on deer. That falls pretty squarely between 120 and 140 Grn weights in the '08.

You can't go far wrong with the tried and true Nosler Partition. I have shot them in both the 7mm-08 and 25-06....they work very well. I use the 140 grain in the 7mm-08 and prefer the 100 grain in 25-06. Some have stated in various posts that the Partition is not accurate enough but I have never had a rifle yet that didn't give me 1 MOA accuracy (or better) at 100 yards using Partitions. I have also heard that the Nosler AccuBond work well but I have not tried them.

Some may argue that you don't need a premium Partition bullet for whitetail deer hunting, but I disagree. Sometimes I have encountered deer at very close range...under 50 yards. If the bullet is fragible, such as a Ballistic Tip or even a standard "cup" style bullet, they can come apart when striking bone at very high velocity. (Remember, a 100 grain 25-06 bullet can be doing 3200 fps). This impact speed and fragability can result in a failure to adequately penetrate the animal. With the Partition bullet, I have found that they work well, regardless of whether it is 50 yards or 300 yards to the animal. I prefer a full through and through hit for a good blood trail in case the animal is not downed before disappearing in the woods. Partitons have never failed to work for me.

Good hunting.

Back