Slings, have you used the sling as a shooting aid?

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Have you used the sling as a shooting aid while hunting game, large or small?

Which sling do you prefer, and why?

Normally I try to find or make a rifle rest, often it's my backpack, sometimes it's a handy log or branch or even a rock. I've also used bipods and shooting sticks. But the good ol' sling has come in handy a few times, including on this fine Wyoming bull I shot 20 years ago from sitting, with my Turner sling wrapped snugly around my left arm.

R2pWAiGh.jpg

I still like my Turner sling. In recent years I've also come to like the quick-adjusting Montana sling. And sometimes I just have a simple leather carry strap, but I'll have it rigged to the appropriate length for use as a "hasty sling."

My Turner sling, rigged for use as a loop sling, with the CZ 527 varmint rifle in 204 Ruger:
TNfI4Tsh.jpg

The Turner sling normally resides on my 308 Win. I've taught a lot of people, many SWAT officers, how to use the sling as a shooting aid.
VSMyc4vh.jpg

Montana Sling, on my 25-06 with my 2017 Washington buck:
ETBfmmhh.jpg

Guy

Use them a lot Guy. My favorite, or maybe it's just because it's what I'm used to, is just the standard leather military style sling.

Have them on all my iron sighted rifles, except my savage 1920. It has narrow sling swivels so that has a 3/4" leather sling that is non adjustable without removing threaded grommets.

I use a 22 for squirrel hunting and take a lot of off hand shots......that rifle also has the military style leather sling on it and I constantly use a sling wrap when taking shots with that.

Some of my rifles have cobra style slings on them. Okay for carrying, useless to use as a shooting aid. I'm slowly getting them all switched over. Big fan of the old style slings.

I've used my sling several times to steady my shot when I've been still hunting and jumped a deer or 2 that run a little, and then stop. I'm usually standing, and wrap the sling around my arm, and stand and wait. Using a standing target stance .

Hawk

Sent from my motorola one using Tapatalk

I use a Turner leather sling that's pre-adjusted for the hasty sling position. But, time permitting, my go-to position is prone bipod.

I use a Turner, I would guess 90% of the game I’ve shot I was slung up, didn’t know there was any other way.[emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back