Slings

Europe

Handloader
Jun 18, 2014
Talking to a couple of young hunters ( young to me can be anyone under 50 ) and they were surprised when I told them I have hunted a lot, without a rifle sling. That in fact on certain hunts in Africa, I would never use a rifle sling. They also had never heard of a safari sling.

Does anyone else here hunt, or have hunted, or even preferred to hunt, without a sling. Has anyone one else here used a safari sling when hunting. I have seen other hunters in Europe and Africa, not use slings, so I am sure I am not the only one.

Typically I do use one, because I was taught how to use it as a shooting aid. Also, I often have a long hike in, just to get to my hunting area.

But yes, particularly when hunting where the brush is thick... I've removed the sling from my rifle. It can be just one more thing to hang up in the brush.

Guy

I have two of the soft, green rubber slings. Got them set where they fit all my rifles and swap them around to fit. I'm not sayin' they are the best, as there are other styles out there to choose from.

All the best, Jim

If I had a gun bearer and someone setting up shooting sticks for standing shots, I wouldn't. I don't so I do. :wink: Seriously though, I'm not sure what a "safari sling" actually is. I don't use "carry straps" generally but I do use Latigo shooting slings. And yes it comes off going into the thick stuff.

Since I typically hunt high alpine tundra and mountains- all of my rifles have a sling. In fact, if my favorite rifle had an odometer, it'd likely have more miles hung on my shoulder on it than my truck does. I try very hard to stay out of the thick stuff, in my AO that's where the bad stuff lives and the hunting is poor.

Hunting that high, open country I frequently use a sling to loop up from prone or sitting to steady a rifle. In fact, I've only shot one big game animal off hand in 15 years ( a wolf at 20 yards)...everything else is prone or sitting or an improvised version of either.

I do have a "Ching Sling" on my Scout that I like a lot that is similar to a safari sling with a split front half. The term safari has been applied to a few styles, so your idea of one might be completely different.

I seldom use a sling as my AO is target rich, requiring quick action when game is spotted. I do have slings for those times I've climbed mountains.

Almost always have my rifles wearing a proper shooting sling. I'll often hike, if I'm a little birds, so to speak with my arm through the loop, hasty style. If time allows I'll loop in proper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plains game, sometimes but only if they are equipped with quick detachable mounts.

DG--never

I was raised carrying my rifle on my shoulder ( Africa Carry ) and still do so.

The "safari slings" are used a lot by the locals, but I don't use them.

Best Regards

Jamila

I am really on the fly, literally, so please excuse these messages here

April, I am typing this post so I obviously survived the sky dive (-;
Cheyenne, Yes, my father does collect the old original Winchester levers, but we ( daughters ) are not allowed to touch them, so I can not tell you much about them as I have never fired one.

Hooray, the last batch of items requested by a couple of fellows have cleared customs and you should have them soon. Part of the delay was my fault as I dropped the ball when I went to Rio, but you will have your items soon

hodgeman":10jazcl3 said:
I do have a "Ching Sling" on my Scout that I like a lot that is similar to a safari sling with a split front half. The term safari has been applied to a few styles, so your idea of one might be completely different.

I believe we are talking about the same thing.

Do you know the people who own the large private game ranch in or close to Delta Junction. We talked about hunting Bison there, but we never got around to it. From memory it is like two or three thousand acre ranch with both buffalo and elk hunts. It was our understanding that we did not need neither an Alaska hunting license, or anything from the state to hunt there, but it was also a bit expensive

Europe":3cs5lo1c said:
[
Do you know the people who own the large private game ranch in or close to Delta Junction. We talked about hunting Bison there, but we never got around to it. From memory it is like two or three thousand acre ranch with both buffalo and elk hunts. It was our understanding that we did not need neither an Alaska hunting license, or anything from the state to hunt there, but it was also a bit expensive

Yes- I know them pretty well. They run a pretty interesting operation. You are correct that you do not need a hunting license- since they are inside a fence, they are considered livestock so no license is required. They can only sell hunts for animals not native to the area, so no moose or caribou hunts. A couple of outfits sell elk and bison hunts here. We have bought some of the meat from cull animals for a little variety from time to time.

I do use a none quick adjustable sling on my rifles since I do a lot of what we call still hunting which is more walking than standing still. I care the rifle slung in reverse on my left shoulder since I'm right handed so that when I bring the rifle to bare in the shooting position I'm already in the hasty sling off hand position.

I use the Safari sling almost exclusively now -- much prefer the front carry position and having the rifle at my chest; quicker, simpler, and quieter to shoulder; and I like the more even load distribution for days when I'm putting a lot of miles on. Have not tried it with a backpack, but will play with that this fall. My safari sling seems to get swapped to whatever rifle I'm hunting with at the time.

I like leather slings 1 inch on light weight rifle 700 BDL 6mm Rem and 1 1/4 inch on heavy rifle .264 Win Mag or .223 Rem with varmit barrel. I don't like synthetic slings to slick on my shoulder.

Europe":qnc2qe7g said:
Talking to a couple of young hunters ( young to me can be anyone under 50 ) and they were surprised when I told them I have hunted a lot, without a rifle sling. That in fact on certain hunts in Africa, I would never use a rifle sling. They also had never heard of a safari sling.

Does anyone else here hunt, or have hunted, or even preferred to hunt, without a sling. Has anyone one else here used a safari sling when hunting. I have seen other hunters in Europe and Africa, not use slings, so I am sure I am not the only one.

...growing up hunting the "black timber" of N.ID I got into the habit of removing my sling & pocketing it, just using it when hiking out logging rds., or when I needed my hands free to drag out game. Here in WY, I use it more, as much for a hasty sling as to carry the rifle...

...I've got "Safari Slings" on my walking varmint rifles & the bear shotgun...

I have a sling on my rifle almost always but only for carrying it. I have a Bog Pod that I also carry it is set at my kneeling height and that is my shooting platform (y).

Blessings,
Dan

I like a plain old military style leather sling. Once it is adjusted I can get into and out of it pretty quick.

The Brownells Latigo is supposed to be very good as well. I don't ever really carry a rifle on a sling either, mostly just in my hands.

Back