Small dents on loaded cases?

MaineGuide35

Beginner
Mar 19, 2011
Hay guys+galls,

So I was in a rhythm reloading 30-06, 180gr. Nosler BT trying to work up loads. IMR 4320, 4350, RL22 in assorted powder charges in three shot batches. I loaded 10 different 3 shot groups, 30 in total. When I took a closer look, three or four of the cases had dents on the wall of the case just below the shoulder. I took the calipers to the case and it still looks good except for the small dent? Are these safe to shoot, if not can you use a inertia hammer style bullet puller on loaded rounds. Also when your working up different loads for a particular caliber, what distance are you shooting at, I've been shooting at 100yds.?

I would think they would shoot fine and will reform in your chamber. I've had it happen a couple of times to me and noticed nothing wrong or different with the rds after firing.

Those are probably lube dents. Try going a little lighter on the case lube and cleaning your die before the next loading session. It will be fine to shoot them as long as they chamber normally.

As others have stated, these are lube dents. They should "iron out" as you shoot. Lubricating cases is as much an art as a science. We all began with these reminders of too much lube. This is better than the other situation of not enough lube. :oops: We've all been there, and will likely be there again at some point in the future.

MaineGuide35

WM is right with the diagnosis, too much case lube will cause dents.

These are safe to shoot as the pressure will fire form the case to the chamber.
Go a little lighter on the case lube when you size the cases and you will be fine.

JD338

Get some Imperial Sizing Wax and be done with dents! Love the stuff and it is slick! Plus, it lasts forever!

Now, go get a range report on your rounds! Scotty

Back