Some seated position practice.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Getting that time of yr. I'm waiting on slings to arrive for my 760 and 788 I recently picked up, and it was a beautiful calm evening to shoot so I loaded up 4 rounds for my old Savage and hit the range for a few shots.

Easy cheezy rifle to shoot. Barely bumps on recoil. Seated position propped off my knees with my support arm wrapped in the sling. 9" plate and managed to get all 4 in a 3" group. Just propped off my knees I can't do better than that most times with scoped rifles. Sometimes worse. Shots were bottom, in the dot, then the top 2.

Shooting from field positions seldom yields the beautiful tight groups like the benchrest does, but it's great practice for hunting.

Good work.

I ran my 7600 280 Rem out to 400 yards last night, laid it out prone over my Mystery Ranch and used my fist under the butt. Aimed using the thick part of the post with the 2.5x8 Duplex and wailed the 7” Bull with the 3 rounds. I put it back in the gun sock. It’s ready to hunt!

Great shooting ST! That old girl is ready to hunt! Love seeing the practical shooting positions.

SJB358":vw5iax7j said:
I ran my 7600 280 Rem out to 400 yards last night, laid it out prone over my Mystery Ranch and used my fist under the butt. Aimed using the thick part of the post with the 2.5x8 Duplex and wailed the 7” Bull with the 3 rounds. I put it back in the gun sock. It’s ready to hunt!

Great shooting ST! That old girl is ready to hunt! Love seeing the practical shooting positions.

That's some great shooting Scotty. (y) You got those 7600's working.

I wish I could utilize the prone position but around here it's rarely applicable so I don't practice that way much at all. Like all things it takes practice, but if you get good at the prone position like you are, it's darn near as good as a bench. Very good work. Gotta make you feel confident.

A person would think you could take a 1/2" tackdriver with a scope and still shoot good groups from the seated position. But plop your butt down on bare ground with no back support and prop off your knees and the constant wondering crosshairs on an 8x11" piece of paper at 100 yds says differently. :x :lol:

I know for me that 9" plate at 100 yds with my naked eye looks pretty darn small...trying to line up iron sights on it propped off my knees seems like a daunting task. The old girl came through with flying colors. (y)

Back