Spring has sprung so I went shooting.

wisconsinteacher

Handloader
Dec 2, 2010
Spring has sprung in WI and I was able to get out shooting this morning. Temps were mid 30s and there was a very light wind. I took the 35 Whelen, 338WM, 243 and my turkey guns.

I first zeroed the new the 243 with the new Redfield. I really like the scope and feel it is a great value for a mild recoiling rifle.

70 gr B-tips with PPU brass and Varget

40.0gr-.982"
41.0gr-1.058"
42.0gr-.819"

I plan on playing with seating depth next but not bad for the first time every shooting the 70 B-tip.

Today was the first time with the 225 AccuBonds out of the .338wm. This is the 3rd or 4th bullet in this rifle and I think I might be able to make it happen.
I used RL19 and gave them a .1" jump due to mag length.
72gr-1.774
73gr-.927
74gr-2.338

I want to play with that 73 gr charge and the seating depth.

Last was the 35 Whelen. This is the 1st time trying different charges and I was very happy with the results.
Varget-Hornady brass-250 Hot Cor-5/8 crimp from Lee crimp die
53gr-2.477 :(
54gr-1.116" getting better
55gr-.512"!!!!!!

I was pumped to see that group through the scope at 100 yards. I think I will retry it and if it repeats, I think that will be my fastest load dev in history.

I also shot my 3 turkey guns (I know, why do you need 3) My BPS put 258 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards. Now I just need to get old tom turkey to play the game.

WT, that 35 Whelen looks to be coming into its own with the varget powder that group using 55grs. is very promising especially for a pump rifle.

Blessings,
Dan

The Whelen makes it relatively easy to work up a load. It is not terribly fussy. You're off to a good start.

Yep if you can come close to duplicating that 55 gr Varget load you are likely done with load development. The 250 gr Speer is capable of excellent accuracy, sometimes it seems to think it is a varmint bullet......

Nice shooting WT; I did some shooting recently too. No groups; just a little Fireforming in the 280AI:

...and steel smacking w/ the AR:

It was -10 and I warmed my hands over hot brass ;) !

The time has come fer burning all the powder we've been dumpin all winter!!! WHEW HA!!

Yes it is really starting to warm up here and I am starting to get the itch to play at the range abit (y) .

Blessings,
Dan

gerry":1r5fanpa said:
Yep if you can come close to duplicating that 55 gr Varget load you are likely done with load development. The 250 gr Speer is capable of excellent accuracy, sometimes it seems to think it is a varmint bullet......

Without a doubt. It's about as good as it gets from a Whelen. It's pt tough at half the price. A lot to like about it.

I can't wait to put the 250 Speer into some milk jugs. I might video tape that one to see the water fly!!!!

What is sad is that the 243 shot 1 moa first time out and I didn't get excited because the 35 put a smile on my face that will be hard to remove.

I'd like to put that 250 Speer into some jugs from my 35 Newton. It kicks out of my Newton at 2800. Should really see what it does at that speed.

I don't know what they will clock out of my short barreled gun but I'm guessing it will be enough for deer. (I do plan to shot over the chronograph this summer)

Back