Swaro Z3... anybody familiar?

BK

Handloader
Dec 14, 2008
So I'm looking at scopes for my Remington Ti, consequently, I want something light. While I initially was thinking about a VX3 in 2.5-8x36 (11.4 ounces) or 3.5-10x40 (12.6 ounces) flavors. But looking around at other options, I find that a Swarovski Z3 3-9x36 weighs 12.0 ounces, the 3-10x42 weighs 12.7 ounces. So, with weights within 1.3 ounces, the differences in glass, if there are any, might make the decision easier. Does anybody have any experience with the euroglass? And hopefully, experience with the Leupolds, also.

Also, does anybody have an opinion of the 4a versus the plex or the BRX (in the 3-10x)?

I had a Z3. Now I have a couple of Z6s and a Z5. Glass is identical, power is the variable. The Swarovskis are markedly clearer than the Leupold and exhibit less flare and in my experience have better light transmission. You get what you pay for. I prefer either the 4a or the plex to the BRX. The BRX is busy. I have always chosen either the 4A or the plex.

Mike, thanks! Have you ever compared the 3-9x versus the 3-10x?

Kurt,

Mine was the 3-10X42. I have not handled the 3-9X36. I wouldn't expect much difference in the clarity as I really could tell any difference in the quality of the glass for the Z5 and the Z6 from the Z3.

BK,

I own 4 swarovski rifle scopes. I dont think you can make a bad choice. I own several Leupold
VX3 scopes too never a bad choice there either. The biggest differance between those two scopes will be real noticeable when you are hunting those 5 or 10 minutes at dawn or dusk. Wyoming hunting regs are 30 minutes before or after sunrise and sunset. Those are minutes are priceless. I always use Swarovski on Elk and Deer. Brian

I have a 3-10x42 with the brh reticle which is just a brx with heavier lines. I have it a new Winchester 70 stainless featherweight in 270. Great combo love them both. I used it this year the first time deer hunting. It got to where I could no longer see with the naked eye but looking through the scope you could see just fine. With this scope you gotta keep an eye on the watch. Great scope. I have alway had Swarovski binos and always disappointed with my riflescopes in comparison. Not anymore.

ldg397":tn6r9gws said:
I have a 3-10x42 with the brh reticle which is just a brx with heavier lines. I have it a new Winchester 70 stainless featherweight in 270. Great combo love them both. I used it this year the first time deer hunting. It got to where I could no longer see with the naked eye but looking through the scope you could see just fine. With this scope you gotta keep an eye on the watch. Great scope. I have alway had Swarovski binos and always disappointed with my riflescopes in comparison. Not anymore.

Man, you drive a hard bargain! Looks like a Swaro would be a great investment LDG!

Oh, hey, you gotta picture of the Featherweight and Swaro together?

Here is a picture I just took for other thread on a single manufacturer for a battery of rifles. I didn't notice the mud on the scope until I uploaded the picture. Give it a little character I guess. From left to right: FN 300WM needs a scope, FN 270 SS w/Z3 in S&K mounts, brand new to me New Haven 458 WM I bought at a pawn shop for $900 out the door with two boxes of ammo 500 grain solids.

Winchester 70's 01 by ldg397, on Flickr

Got to love them Model 70. I like those S&K mounts on the .270. I am thinking about those for my new 25-06. Brian

Yeah, I really like the S&Ks I have, and I'm sure I'll be getting more.

DrMike":r0fs0pmu said:
I had a Z3. Now I have a couple of Z6s and a Z5. Glass is identical, power is the variable. The Swarovskis are markedly clearer than the Leupold and exhibit less flare and in my experience have better light transmission. You get what you pay for. I prefer either the 4a or the plex to the BRX. The BRX is busy. I have always chosen either the 4A or the plex.

+1, my exact experience as well
Hardpan

Back