Swarovski Scope

Jimmy

Beginner
Mar 10, 2005
Any opinions on the Swarovski line of scopes?I am looking at either a PH 3-12x50mm (30mm.tube),or the 4-12xAV(1"tube).Are these scopes compatable with a sporter weight,hunting,custom .300 Win.mag.?What are the advantages of the reticle being in the first or second focal plain?Any opinions on the TDS ranging system?Are these scopes to bulky and heavy for a slim sporter.
I now shoot with a Leupold 4.5-14x40mm AO which is good for hunting and target shooting.
I was looking for opinions and any experiences with the Swaros to see if it would be a "up grade"worth the considerable amount of money or is the Loopy "good enough"?
Thanks for any input.
Jim

My answer to both your questions is YES. The Swarovski's have some really nice glass, but I really think a person cannot go wrong with the Leupold. There is more to a scope than good glass and while the Swaros may have it, you know the Leupold does.
The Swarovski's and such have really nice glass, but you cannot beat the dependability of a Leupold for the price.

The Zeiss conquest line is basically a American Made German product. Parts made in Germany, assembled here. I have an American series 1 inch tube Swarovski 3-10-40, and that Zeiss beats mine in every way. Light gathering, adjustment tracking, return to zero, eye relief, clarity, and ruggedness of build. However, both scopes are great, and you would do well with either. The conquest is not that much more expensive than the Leupold. I own at least 4 Leupolds, but don't like the way the adjustments track. You can turn them 12 clicks, then shoot and it takes 3-7 rounds for the scope adjustments to "settle". This is ok, not a big deal, the the European optice don't do this. In case you ask, I own a Vari-X III 1-3/4-6, a VX-III 2.5-8, a Vari-X II 1-4, and a vari-X II 3-9-50. I also own the Swarovski, a Nikon 4X-40MM, 4 Different Burris--Fullfield II 4.5-14--X-2, 2 3-9-40 FFII's, , a Weaver 3-9-40, a Weaver 1-3. I like the Burris's for quality versus price any day...I am looking at a Euro 30 mm Burris soon..

I have Zeiss,Swarovski, Vari-x 2 and 3, a Burris and a bunch of cheaper scopes. (I've just ,in the last year, gotten the better scopes because the kids have grown up and gone). The Swarovskis have the best glass but not by much over Zeiss. Zeiss is lighter , they use some form of composit I think , has better adjustments and it costs less. The Leupold is smallest and bullet proof but has a smaller field of view and untill recently the cross hairs were a little too small for my liking for quick shots in poor light even though the light gathering of the scope itself is very good. I don't mean to slight Leupold's optics but you get what you pay for. If I were to choose another expensive scope it would be a choice between Zeiss and Leupold with the zrf or b&c reticles. I favor 4x12 on up for hunting and the Swarovski 4x12 doesn't have an adjustable objective which caused me to go with the 6x18 which does. Great scope but Great Big. You'v got a lot of choices and it took me a looong time to settle on my scopes. Good luck!!! :wink:

If the $$$ are burning a hole in your pocket go for it. Personally I consider the Var x3 or VX3 a supreme scope.

I can tell you the PH 3-12 X 50 TDS Swaro is a great product. I have one on my Ed Brown 300 WM and i has taken it's fair share of abuse and performs flawlessley. One thing to understand is Swarovski and Zeiss both use crystal instead of glass in their optics. Zeiss pre-fabricates the crystal and Swarovski ginds the crystal to the specific tube which gives a more custome tuned fit. They are both fantastic. My father has a conquest on his rifle and it does appear in good light to be brighter and more clear than my PH, however in low light the image is not as sharp.

You cannot go wrong with the two.

EB300,
I bought a Swaro 3-10x42 AV,TDS and it is fantastic.Put it atop a custom .300 Win.mag.Thank all of you for your input!
Jim

QuietHunter":ine2piam said:
My answer to both your questions is YES. The Swarovski's have some really nice glass, but I really think a person cannot go wrong with the Leupold. There is more to a scope than good glass and while the Swaros may have it, you know the Leupold does.
The Swarovski's and such have really nice glass, but you cannot beat the dependability of a Leupold for the price.

Ditto.

I own a Swarovski(PV-N),Zeiss Conquest & Leupold VX111.
But at the end of the day you just cant beat Leupold & Zeiss,for what you get for your bills$$$$.
Sure the Swar & Zeiss are better IMO than the VX111's at gathering light but not by that much.

I did a comparison(DUSK) between these three the other night to see who is king of scopes in my collection.
All three are how should I say GREAT GLASS but like I said before for your hard earned$$$ the Conquest & VX111 shine.
The Conquest IMHO does have the edge in gathering light?clarity over the VX111 but not by that much.

Leupold wins for me due to these reasons but I'm still a big Conquest fan,like the look of there new edition=2.5-8x32.

"One of the keys to the exceptional durability of Leupold scopes is STRENGTH COMBINED WITH LIGHTNESS".

"Scopes also have to withstand an impact tester which in 24 hours subjects a scope to 5000 violent blows,each matching the force of a .375H&H Magnum"

"Immersing their VX Series scopes in a tank full of water heated to 120 degrees fahrenheit reveals any spot which is not airtight".

"Leupold scopes are built to exactly the same tolerances and standard of durability.
A Rifleman scope will take as much recoil as a VX-III".

"In 1962 Leupold invented and introduced the Duplex reticle. Virtually every other scope manufacturer has copied this basic style of reticle."

"They pioneered the sealing and waterproofing technology that has become an industry standard in today's riflescopes".

LEUPOLD FULL LIFETIME WARRANTY.(Cream on the cake)

Wel i got Swaros, Zeizz victory and concest, Kahles and B&L. No Leupol eny more. I shoot br, lonrange, hunt at nigt in moonligh, hevy rain an so on. I do like som Leupol but, they seem to cost ust as mutch as the euro scopes and stil is not the same in lo ligth. So being form the oldworld i use the Zeizz, Kahles and Swaros for hunting and the other for targets. But i started out whit Japanes scopes and used guns. Still get most of my guns used. But scopes ig trye to get new. And the Swaro i got 4-16x50 pv is a realy good scope. But i stil like the Zeizz viktory bether.

I got a vx111 3.5x10x40 b+c and it sure works for me, I also own a varix3 2.5x8x36 and the difference between the two is very noticeable, they have upgraded

Back