T/C Encore 300 WM

JD338

Range Officer
Staff member
Nov 4, 2004
My buddy is getting a T/C Encore in 300 Win Mag and wants me to load for him
My go to load has been 75.0 grs RL 22 with a 180 gr bullet. This load has shot sub MOA in 3 different bolt guns. My question, is the T/C Encore strong enough to handle MAX loads or should I just work up to a mid range load?
Thanks for your thoughts and comments.

JD338

I load for a friends 300Wm Encore, I load 73grs H4831 with a 190gr Hornady BTSP, which is a max load. It handles it just fine and shoots very nicely.

JD338 said:
My go to load has been 75.0 grs RL 22 with a 180 gr bullet. This load has shot sub MOA in 3 different bolt guns. My question, is the T/C Encore strong enough to handle MAX loads or should I just work up to a mid range load?

JD338[/quote........................Don`t start at 75 gr., but work up to it to be sure. That Encore, unlike your bolt rifles may show (but I doubt it), small pressure signs at the 75 grains. Each rifle as its own tolerance of max load capabilities.

Big Squeeze":v2c179pg said:
JD338":v2c179pg said:

JD338[/quote........................Don`t start at 75 gr., but work up to it to be sure. That Encore, unlike your bolt rifles may show (but I doubt it), small pressure signs at the 75 grains. Each rifle as its own tolerance of max load capabilities.

Thanks, I was wanting to find out how strong the Encore action is. I know it isn't as strong as a bolt gun.

JD338

JD338":2xovmz4l said:

JD338

Absolutely! They are brutes!

Not an issue at all.

With the T/C you need to really start with a low safe load and work up. The Thrust of a case that has been loaded to max in a T/C could create some real problems we call this phenomenon "Bolt Thrust". Start with lowest load in your load manual and work up slowly. :) You can not treat the T/C Encore as though it was a Ruger #1

If you stay within SAAMI specs in your reloads (62336 psi according to quickload) you'll be fine....work up as usual of course.

With all the liability issues out there don't you think the manufacturers would have warned against use in the TC????

Especially with the heavy mag loads from Federal and Hornady? I have never seen such a warning like the 45-70 pressure (different classes 0f pressure) issue.
Look at the chamberings they offer...like 25-06! at 65+K pressure.

Fotis,

I agree, good point. I remember reading somewhere that the Encore action is not as strong as most bolt actions. My go to load is a listed MAX and I have never had a single issue with it in 3 different bolt action rifles. I just wanted to check with you fellas and get your inputs. Of course, I now I need to start low and work up. I'll keep you posted when the time comes.

JD338

I load 74gr's of RL22 behind 180 gr BT's for my 300WM Encore. It shoots sub 1"MOA and I have never had a pressure problem.

The only problem I have noticed with the 300 WM Encore is that if you load max powder, case expansion in the chamber may cause the case to stick and not eject. My experience is that the ejector on the Encore is a little on the weak side when using a belted case. I had to double the spring on mine to get it to work reliably.

Thanks fellas, I appreciate all your inputs.

I will start load development with 180 gr AB's and RL-22.

Any ideas for a 200 gr AB? I'm thinking RL-22.

Should be kicked off in the spring as soon as my buddy brings everything over.

JD338

What are you fellas loading in 300 Win Mag and 200 gr AB's? I am leaning towards RL 22. Any suggestions?

JD338

I dont have an Encore, and I may not be the expert that JD and the boys are, not affraid to admit that but here is my take on things. If your gun isnt ejecting your brass your load is too damn hot plain and simple. Sorry if im stepping on toes. That extra few fps isnt worth the risk of blowing that gun up next to your head. Also the deer or elk isnt going to be extra dead because you made that bullet go another 100 fps. I might be way off but i have a few loved ones that would miss me if i checked out early. The only way to know for sure is to hook it up to a strain gage and see what kind of pressure you are getting in your gun. I cant afford toys like that. This is just my opinion I love guns and reloading, and being on this forum has already taught me some so bear with me when I say stuff like this guys

cold_hunter":25z24l9u said:
I dont have an Encore, and I may not be the expert that JD and the boys are, not affraid to admit that but here is my take on things. If your gun isnt ejecting your brass your load is too damn hot plain and simple. Sorry if im stepping on toes. That extra few fps isnt worth the risk of blowing that gun up next to your head. Also the deer or elk isnt going to be extra dead because you made that bullet go another 100 fps. I might be way off but i have a few loved ones that would miss me if i checked out early. The only way to know for sure is to hook it up to a strain gage and see what kind of pressure you are getting in your gun. I cant afford toys like that. This is just my opinion I love guns and reloading, and being on this forum has already taught me some so bear with me when I say stuff like this guys

cold_hunter

Thats "Expert" advise if you ask me! :wink:

The 300 Win Mag Encore is a buddys that I am going to load for. I wanted to get feed back from the gang here on the 200 gr loads. I know the Encore is a solid action but I think it isn't as strong as a bolt action. My plan is to develop an accurate load that is under MAX load.

JD338

Thanks a bunch JD. I have seen people do some pretty funny things at our local range and some of time i watch from a distance. I appreciate the compliment. My pet load in my best gun craters the primers so i wont get too big here.

with a name like devildawg i should have known better than to pipe off. once a marine always gung ho right? i didnt mean for what i said to stop the conversation guys. but just be a little careful every accident that one of us handloaders has, reflects on all of us. every little negative our president can get ahold of right now could hurt all of us so think a little and be as safe as you can.

I have been loading 74gr of RL22 over a 200gr Sierra Game King in my M77. I shoots really well and is by far the most accurate load I have gotten from that rifle thus far. I got the load from the Alliant site, and their max was listed as 73.5 if I remember correctly. It doesn't show any signs at all in my bolt gun, at least nothing like cratered primers, or badly expanded cases. Plus, it regularly shoots under an inch with little trouble. I used it to check fire in Idaho in 90* heat and it was fine there also. Scotty

JD338":1i5j2umc said:

JD338

Carefull, you don't want your Encore to turned into these :)

Rifle1.jpg

post-670-1175137112_thumb.jpg

Back