Target turrets mildots?

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
Who uses these? Do they have any practical advantages in the hunting fields? Especially the mildot stuff! :?:

I have a mildot Leupold VX-II that is on my 17HMR of all things. I have not taken the time to learn about the mildot system, I just use the hashmarks as a rough holdover for any shots over 200 yards or so, seems to work good on pop cans out to about 300yards(as long as there is no wind!)

I like target turrets on a long-range precision rifle. If a fellow has the time to use a laser rangefinder, and knows his rifle/load, very impressive accuracy can be achieved. It's real easy to just "click" to the desired setting - which I have memorized out to 600 yards for the .308 - I've been shooting the same rifle and load so long. Much more precise than using a holdover, so it's useful for nailing a smallish target at longer ranges - like for varmint hunting, or perhaps at big game too.

I don't find mil dots as useful. Very popular among "tactical" type shooters, most don't really seem to know how to use them except as holdover and holdoff references. Was first introduced to them in the Marines - the snipers had 'em on their rifles and used them for rangefinding, long before the advent of laser rangefinders. To me, the laser is faster and more accurate. The advantage of the mil dot is that it is always there, in your scope, and it doesn't require batteries, just a bit of math.

Regards, Guy

I utilized both for long range shooting. I always zeroed my rifle at 100 yards and use the elevation turret for dialing in the distance. I usually don't touch my windage and that's where the mildot comes handy. 1 mil equals 3.6 inches at 100 yards, 18 inches at 500 and 36 inches at 1000 yards. It is easy to remember when you're compensating for the wind.

I have had a mil dot scope before they are nice as a hold over tool, I know how to use them as thet way they were intended but if you have a rangefinder, that is the way to go but they are a good back up. and target turrents they are a must for me when i am looking at a scope for longrange or varmint rifles. i like getting BDC's made for loads I use to hunt with so i just range the target/game and then dial it in and dont have to worry about holdover and they make some for wind to so you can cover all the bases.

www.kentonindustries.com

Back