Tikka 260 Remington

Not yet, I carried it last year for bear and deer but didn't harvest anything. It's all sighted in ready to go and I hope to tag a black bear in about a month's time. I'll let you all know how it works out. When I do my part it groups around 1/2-5/8" at 100 yards.

heck yea , getting a Tikka to accept long ammo is simply a bolt stop , and a magazine . this almost sounds like cheatin .

I don't think I've read about anyone having accuracy issues with a Tikka . I have an older Tikka 595 in 7mm-08 . I really like the rifle , it's a good shooter .

the 140 grain speer looks like it's ready to fall out .

what velocities are you getting with the 156gr bullets ?

heck yea , getting a Tikka to accept long ammo is simply a bolt stop , and a magazine . this almost sounds like cheatin .

I don't think I've read about anyone having accuracy issues with a Tikka . I have an older Tikka 595 in 7mm-08 . I really like the rifle , it's a good shooter .

the 140 grain speer looks like it's ready to fall out .

what velocities are you getting with the 156gr bullets ?
Pretty easy to do, I filed back the bolt stop and clicked in the M+ magazine. Those previous generation Tikka's were nice too. Have a friend with an even older Tikka 300 Win Mag that has taken a lot of moose and goat. He just bought another 300 Win Mag in a T3X lite and loves it too.

The base of the Speer is right at the bottom of the neck. I know it looks goofy with the cannelure so high up. I'll update the thread with the speeds on the weekend after I run some through the Chrony. Should be 2550-2600 fps for the 156's but we'll see.........

I was able to run some over the chronograph today. Not a lot of spots yet free of snow but I was able to find a plowed logging road with a side road where I could shoot safely. Next time out I'll do some more accuracy testing at a different spot, it just wasn't possible where I was.

129 gr Hornady - 42.5 gr IMR 4451 - 2658 fps (was surprised it was so slow, could go higher but this load killed 4 deer any way lol)
140 gr Speer G.S. - 42.5 gr IMR 4350 - 2601 fps
140 gr Speer G.S. - 43.5 gr IMR 4350 - 2630 fps (43gr didn't group well last time but looks like I could go up still, no pressure signs)
156 gr PRVI - 47 gr IMR 7977 - 2468 fps (48 gr wasn't as accurate as 47 gr but was safe to use)
156 gr Norma Vulkan - 44 gr IMR 4955 - 2618 fps (pretty happy with this load)
Factory loads
120 gr Federal Fusion - 2799 fps
140 gr Federal Premium Sierra BT - 2547 fps

Nice stuff. That 260 is a neat cartridge. Wished I’d gotten one when they were around.

Well, I wish I didn't waste my money on the 6.5creed! I'm too much of a 26cal fan via 264wm. After purchasing the creed for an ar10 build (actually 2) I found 260rem barrels for them also. In the AR platforms I have 6.5gren, 6.5creed, 260rem and soon to be 6.5prc. I lack having a 264wm in an AR style, but 1 day I'll do it. Getting the gas port size correct is going to be the hard part. Location is the easy 1. Glad too see 260rem lovers out there!

Back