To Float or Not To Float

truck driver

Ammo Smith
Mar 11, 2013
I had cleaned the 35AI after the last range session and got a little bored since we have had 2 days of rain and I couldn't work or go to the range since it's not covered. So I decided to inspect the bore of the AI and didn't really like the looks of it so since it coppers heavy I decide to get the J&B paste out and polish it some. After wards I flushed the bore and chamber to get rid of any left over paste and got a little heavy with the oil flush and it came out the gas port in the receiver and went under the barrel into the channel so I tried to slide a piece of paper towel between the stock and barrel and it wouldn't go so I tried something thinner and still no go. Yeah I have a pressure point in the tip of the forearm that I didn't know was there :oops: With the groups going two in and one out which is usually the third shot I was wondering if this could be the cause as the barrel heats while shooting even though waiting between shots for it to cool?
So I need some thoughts should I remove it or leave it?

All my rifles are free floated and to be honest I thought this stock had been floated before I got it since it was a factory take off. With the barrel being thinner since the rebore it might heat up a little quicker and I'm thinking it could benefit from floating.

I went ahead and free floated the barrel so I could freely slide a piece of paper that is .007" thick under it with out any trouble. Hopefully this will help.

I prefer floating as to sinking.
Oops, wrong thread. :)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

My Whelen isn't floated in the factory wood stock. Shoots really well. I figure it's not too much of a trick to add the pressure point back if it's needed.

Thanks for the thoughts fellas, I took it to the range and even though conditions weren't the best I did see improvement when shooting in the high winds we were having. The 200gr Ab bucks the wind very nicely when pushed over 2900fps.

I prefer free float. My two wood stocked rifles with pressure points were nothing but frustrating, until I either free floated or replaced the stock with synthetic.

I like a bedded action ( pillar is my fave though any is better than none) and the first couple of inches of the chamber bedded (especially on a thinner barrel) then the rest floated. I would firelap that puppy TD, it won't hurt a thing if you go slow. I've never slugged a bore doing it, just used 5 or so with rough grit ( in a really fouling bore) then a few medium then 10 polish, cleaning between each rough grit/med round and every three of the polish. I've even just shot 10 or so polish in nice looking bores, it all helped. My Whelan AI was cryoed when I was having it blueprinted/rechambered, coated and its a gem. So freezing IS an option. 300 Below did mine, but that was back in '98, many out there now. I think I'd try firelapping for sure, not hard to do. NECO is what I used though Tubbs is good I hear. Keep at it, you'll have all that trigger time/gun familiarization in and you will be "deadly" in the woods, ha!

Back