Tough question...

Bluejay

Beginner
Apr 6, 2006
Hi Guys,
maybe you could help me.
I am looking for the best weight bullet for accuracy/trajectory to be shot in a BLASER K95 single shot rifle, 6.5x57R Caliber, 24" barrel with a twist of 8".
This rifle (like most of the european made/chambered rifles/calibers) has a very long free boaring, allowing to stabilize even heavy bullets such as 140/160 grains.
I have so far tried Nosler BT 100 grs., which I believe is too short bullet for my rifle and I am now testing the 120 grs. which seems to better suit the long FB.
I have reloaded a 6 round test @ 200 yds.
Results are as follows:
Group width: 2 3/4"
Group height: 1,5"
Shot #1-5-6 within a 0.035" circle

I think my not-so-good results are also due to the scope I am using (6x) with a thick crosshair (covering 3/4" @ 200 yds.) along with some residual oil left inside the barrel.

My questions are:

What do you think I should do to improve my results?
Which one do you think should be the best bullet weight for my rifle?

I know this caliber is not too familiar in the US, but I believe its performances/dimensions should be pretty similar to the .260 Rem.

Also, I am looking for the most accurate round I can get, to be used for HUNTING roe deer and chamois (mountain goats) in the Alps, with shot ranging between 150 up to over 300 yds.
Bullet energy for the game I am pursuing should be plenty even with the lighter weights (93/100 grs.).

Appreciate your help :wink:

Cheers
Bluejay

Bluejay,

Every rifle is unique so You will have to test different bullets, powder,
and primers to find the right load. I would think using the 120 gr BT or 125 gr PT would be a good starting point. Load the bullets .020" off the lands or as long as the magazine will allow.
This should help you with accuracy.
The scope may also affect your fine aiming ability.

Regards,

JD338

Bluejay":g40k6rhn said:
24" barrel with a twist of 8".
Cheers
Bluejay

Worked with these (european 6.5mm's) when I was in Germany.

Try 140 NP's.

I agree with Pop treat it like you would a 6.5 Swede, 140 gr bullets and start as long as will fit the mag. Try reducing the OAL after you work up a load until accuracy tells you that you went too far or improves to the point you feel it should be.

Back