Unable to bore sight M48 Patriot

Use some shim stock (.010/.020) under rear mount to fill the gap. My custom Mauser has the same issues. Works fine with .010 shim stock now. My action was over polished on the rear mount.

Blackbear3":skrtbf86 said:
I will give your ideas a try when I get home from fishing next week. But I did use my old fashioned method of the key hole on the front door after removing the bolt and looking down the bore and it still ran of adjustment. Shooting it at 25 yards would cure the itch I have to shoot it, and I still have the Talley lightweights and the Zeiss on it.

I bore sighted my last 2 Weatherbys on the front door and needed very little adjustment at the range, but anything is possible. I hate mailing firearms, but it just seemed strange the rear Leupold ring had a large gap between it and the base when the scope was tightened in the rings. Thanks for all the ideas!!! (y)

Also try and adjust your scope back to the center of the adjustment range before starting. That should help getting you close as well.

Does the scope cant up or down just sitting in the Talleys? Or is there a gap between the tube and lower ring?

Well no luck getting my M48 bore sighted, so Mike said its time to send it in. He said I've messed with it long enough and it's time to have them look at it. Hopefully back in a couple weeks. Thanks for all the advice.

I've had an itch for a 35 Whelen for a long time, and you guys have me scratching like crazy!!! :lol:

Well I need to apologize, apparently I am doing something wrong with my lazer bore sighter. After closing up the cabin I decided to remount some scopes I tried on my M48 Patriot, and I ran into the same elevation problem on rifles I've used many times.

Luckily I have also found a new range to shoot at, if my old one hadn't been closed I would have shoot my M48 instead of wasting Noslers time and money. They have several gunsmiths at this range, and they will be bore sighting my firearms from now on.

Mike Seay called me on September 1st and said the Nosler gunsmith couldn't find the problem I described to him, hopefully my rifle will arrive shortly. The only way I can think of to make this up to Nosler is to pick up a M48 in 35 Whelen next spring. Thank you Shawn and Mike for your patience, you guys have been first class. Thanks Doug

Not only will a 35 Whelen serve to make things up with the boys down in Oregon, but you'll definitely excite a few of those posting here. (y)

Thanks Dr Mike, with the number of posts you have it looks like you've been around the block a time or two. I leave for Colorado on October 1 for an elk hunt in unit 76, the 35 Whelen would have been a better choice then the 300 SAUM I am bringing. I also have a muzzleloader deer tag to fill before the elk hunt. Seems like a perfect start to my retirement.

Your 300 SAUM will work just fine for elk. Loaded with a premium bullet at the velocities generated by that cartridge, few elk will stand up to the bullet placed where it belongs. Best of luck on your hunt. Trust the deer hunt will go well for you. Retirement? What's that? :mrgreen:

Back