Varmageddon Rifle - Finally Received

kimbroughr

Beginner
Mar 23, 2007
I recently received my Varmageddon rifle from Nosler. Here are some initial observations and thoughts.

Bottom Line Up Front (BLUF) – It’s really boring – Seriously folks – It took six shots and two adjustments to get it spot-on at 100 yards. Then it was just about impossible to miss with. My brother tried it too – same results. Just one round after another in the same small spot – after a few rounds we couldn’t even see the orange dot they put on the target to make it more visible, so that necessitated a trip through the wet grass to put up another one!

Finally, I found a fault! It won’t feed/run. One shot (don’t know where it hit – no more center in the target – again!). Same thing every shot, BANG! CLICK! Manually cycle the bolt to chamber the next round, BANG! CLICK! Then back to manual. Every shot (20 rounds) – went through the whole magazine, same routine. Ah-ha, got ya! So then my smart-ass brother (did I mention he still lives at home) says, “Hey, maybe it’s the ammo, this stuff is different”. OK, he caught me. I slipped in the cheap stuff, steel cased, discount brand. I’m going out on a limb here and guessing it is a little anemic and couldn’t get the recoil buffer and spring all the way to the rear so the bolt wasn’t recoiling far enough to pick up the next round from the magazine as it returned to battery. The cases only ejected about half as far as the other, well known, name brand ammo i.e., Federal, Black Hills & American Eagle, 5.56 and .223 Rem – all functioned flawlessly. Bullet weights were from 55 to 75 grain.

I’m retired from the U.S. Army (HOOAH!) and remember (not always fondly) the M16A1 and A2. They were sometimes as loose as the 1911’s that were still in use when I began my career. Unit Armorer’s were almost universally a royal-pain-in-the-ass (except when I was a Commander and I owned the Arms Room – then they were rightly concerned that our weapons were properly cared for and held the troops to a very high standard). Cleaning weapons was a high priority and I learned how to do properly. So, I haven’t cleaned the Varmageddon yet and don’t intend to for some time. I did wipe it down and lubed it, but I’m not going to do a complete disassembly/clean to my Armorer’s standards before turn-in/scrub every last speck of carbon, cleaning – because I can. Take that SGT Mills! Hasn’t seemed to affect anything – another theory shot down – damn thing runs - clean or dirty. Just remember to lube.

Now that I’m a little more “mature” I certainly appreciate the Leupold optics sitting on top. So, I thought I’d make it tougher for my brother. I detached the scope and put it back on knowing we wouldn’t be on the paper – everyone needs a challenge. Well, wouldn’t you know, damn thing proved me wrong (I hate that). POI didn’t change at all!

Quality – I have found nothing to complain about. It is a fine example of the best America can offer.

Accuracy – Extremely good– I haven’t fired it from a bench, but off a stool, using the bipod, it is SUB-MOA!

Reliability – Seems good. Will it run after being dragged through the sand box, bounced around in the back of an MRAP and drenched in the shower? Not sure, but I’d trust it. Lube is your friend.

Value – Completely subjective, but for me, yes. What would I include that’s not part of the package? Maybe the option to choose a muzzle treatment e.g., brake/compensator, flash hider or suppressor mount.

Looks – OK, it’s not my walnut stocked .280 Ackley Improved, Nosler Custom Rifle (yes, I am a repeat offender – I will sell my secret for sneaking guns past your wife), but fit and finish are better than any other MSR I’ve looked at. You can’t count the color case hardened walnut stocked one from Turnbull!

Was it worth the wait (ordered in December – received in July)? Yes, that was a dumb question.

My sincere thanks go to Nosler (especially Shawn Finley), Leupold and Noveske. I was extremely saddened to hear of John Noveske’s passing this past January (just after I placed my order). I can assure you they have carried on his fine tradition and continue to produce a firearm he would be proud to have his name on. The guys at my local FFL transfer dealer were really excited when they thought they had received one for their store – one of them tried to buy it from me.

And finally, since I was already pissed-off (remember, I was bored), I ran a 20 round magazine through pretty quickly – I still aimed every shot (thank-you SFC Parks!) and tore that soda can up! Knowing that my brother was never in the Military (he wasn’t in the Air Force, Navy, Coast Guard or Girl Scouts either – Marines do count), so no experience with rapid firing weapons, I said “Here, hold this.” as I handed it to him, pointing it straight up in the air, but holding it low so he had to take it by the barrel – it didn’t take him very long to look at it – some things (like sticking it to your little brother) never ever get old, even if we do!

Very cool! Sounds like another great Nosler!

What's the primary use of it going to be?

Great review.

A couple replies:

To SJB358 - Plan to use it for varmints (but not in Fairfax County where I live) and target/plinking - better and cheaper than most - still can't find any 22LR in the stores. I was in Alabama last weekend and dropped a Mauser project gun off at a Blacksmith friend for a little work I can't do. The shop he works in had plenty of everything - except 22LR. I see you're in NOVA - I live in Lorton.

To nvbroncrider - Yep, the NCR .280 AI is VERY sweet. Most accurate thing I have ever owned, and the recoil doesn't seem any harder than the Varmageddon AR. After a weekend with a .375 H&H Mag trying to dislocate my shoulder, I really started to appreciate the milder side.

One more thing...

SJB358 - I agree with your Winchester 70 sentiment - I have 3.

.243 Win - My first gun
.300 Win Mag - RMEF SuperGrade
.375 H&H Mag - Pre-64 SuperGrade

Very cool! I work outta Quantico. Visit Lorton/Woodbridge pretty often.

Glad you like your rifles and I hope you let your Super Grade know you still love it with those two Noslers in the safe!

BTW I live down in Fredericksburg. Small world!

I work at Belvoir. Get to Fredericksburg fairly often - when I can catch 95 unjammed - which thinking about it is not all that often.

Is there a public range on Quantico? I work with a Retired Marine who went to Sniper School - I want to get him on a range and see what he's got - maybe pick up a few tips.

No public range on Quantico that I know of but I do shoot at CF Phelps quite a bit when it's open. I do more of my shooting at my hunt club as I'm the only one on there and it allows me to shoot out to 250 pretty easily.

A few others on here have some good places to shoot out to 700 yards but they are down by Richmond. Either way, if I can help you out, let me know. Scotty

Back