Very Promising with Youth 700 .243

idahohunter8

Beginner
May 7, 2015
I just recently put together a starter rifle for my 8 year old son so he can start practicing for the next two years and be comfortable going afield when he turns 10. The rifle we choose was a Remington 700 ADL youth .243, with a 20" barrel and shortened youth stock. I put talley lw mounts on with a Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x40...

I wanted very reduced loads for him to learn on and couldn't for the life of me find h4895 or trail boss, so per the new Nosler 8 manual, I loaded 90 grain ballistic tips behind 33.0 grains of imr4320...With the 20" barrel I figure these loads to be about 25-2550 FPS...I wasn't expecting much accuracy wise as its so reduced, I just wanted something to hit a paper plate while my son learns to shoot...Too bad I may have found a winning rifle!

Was able to slip away this morning and put some rounds through the rifle and man am I excited. Loaded 14 rounds, fired 5 rounds at 25 yards to get on paper and then moved to 100 yards. Next three shots - covered by a quarter, next three after that about the same. Last three shots - take my time, really try to shoot a good group - 3 shots into .33 of an inch!!!!

If we were in a pinch, that load would be hunting ready right now - going to be a fun next couple years watching my son learn on this rifle...The plan is work up to a full boat 95/100 grain load for hunting.

And that's the way we like our loading experience to go. Great work. Perhaps we'll see the lad at work with the rifle before long?

That sounds very good and should be nice and mild for recoil. It's nice when things come together like that......

Sounds like a great mild load. Nicely done.

JD338

I did something very similar this summer with 125 gr 308 loads and found a very accurate starting load, that is both easy and fun to shoot, and also a load I wouldn't hesitate sending my daughter afield to hunt with. Enjoy shooting those starting loads, not a thing wrong with them.

Back