Washington State Grizzly Bears

JD338

Range Officer
Staff member
Nov 4, 2004
Looks like there is going to be an effort to reintroduce Grizzly Bears to Washington Cascades.

JD338

My wife has a cousin living in Bellingham. It has been interesting hearing her objections to this plan. She claims that residents of that coastal city are less than ecstatic about this plan. I'll look forward to Guy's take on the matter.

There have been sightings in the North Cascade region for years. None by the state or feds biologists Apparently. Sure they could be color phase black bears. I’m just waiting for some poor guy from Bellingham to shoot one, they’re not there after all so it must be a black bear, see how hard they prosecute him.

A grizzly was captured recently here in Washington:

They've always been here, just in small numbers. No need to import any. The areas they're looking to release grizzlies into are heavily used by hikers. Ranches and farms are nearby. They're probably in the North Cascades. Nothing preventing them from wandering down from Canada. They've been confirmed over in the northeast corner of the state adjacent to both Canada and Idaho. I've hunted there a few times for whitetail & black bear.

The folks who live in these rural areas have spoken out against them, and our congressional representative was able to get the feds to back off a few years ago when they wanted to release grizzlies here in Washington. I think that the feds may just go ahead and do it anyway. There have been reports of gov't pickups hauling horse trailers up to the wilderness areas, without any horses in them. Rumors are running wild.

Guy

Back