When Black Bears Are Not Actively Hunted

DrMike

Ballistician
Nov 8, 2006
Black bears are predators. They are not normally aggressive toward humans, and they don't normally stalk people. When they do, it is a mistake to ignore them. Evidence for this contention comes from a news account in California.

Black Bear Predation

Deadly Black Bear Attack

It appears the bear had become habituated by cat food left on the porch and garbage. Eventually, the bruin was captured and "euthanized."

Last edited:
A similar thing happen about 10 years ago here in our rural canyon of CA where we live, luckily no one was hurt. Our closest neighbor, a liberal of course, about 1/4 mile away was feeding a black bear catfood, when they stopped the bear ripped the door of their shed and ate all the catfood. I didn't know they were feeding a bear and one morning at daybreak our dogs were barking ferociously, I went out to investigate and the bear was coming down out of a big avocado tree near our house. Usually you can scare a black bear off by yelling and throwing up your hands, this bear just turned around and looked at me. I retrieved my revolver, yelled again and when the bear stopped and turned around I shot into the hillside right behind it. Again, not knowing someone had been feeding it. The bear took off and a few days later tried to rip the front door off another neighbors house, he shot and killed the bear.

Black bears can be dangerous. A lot of folks seem to think they're nothing but big fuzzy cute critters...

They do make nice rugs and sausage... ;)

Z9FPxHnl.jpg

I'm taking a new hunter, in his 20's for bear when the season opens in August. I think he's using a 6.5 PRC, unknown which bullet. I may well carry my 6.5 Creedmoor Bergara, unsure which bullet I'm going to use. It's a lightweight rifle that shoots well, and has a terrific scope on it. Am really looking forward to this hunt! We've got access to some private land that holds bears year 'round and it backs up to National Forest land that is otherwise difficult to access. A little scouting of it last year revealed that it too holds bear. LOTS of berry bushes, and a small stream too... :) Really want him to get a bear, but I'd be happy to take another one this year as well.

Guy

Wishing you and the young hunter every success, Guy. Hunting black bears is a favourite hunt for me. I've been privileged to live in an area with a good density of bears (both black bears and grizzlies), and I've taken a fair share of bears. The hunt has never gotten old for me. But I do respect these animals.

Black bears can be dangerous. A lot of folks seem to think they're nothing but big fuzzy cute critters...

They do make nice rugs and sausage... ;)

Z9FPxHnl.jpg

I'm taking a new hunter, in his 20's for bear when the season opens in August. I think he's using a 6.5 PRC, unknown which bullet. I may well carry my 6.5 Creedmoor Bergara, unsure which bullet I'm going to use. It's a lightweight rifle that shoots well, and has a terrific scope on it. Am really looking forward to this hunt! We've got access to some private land that holds bears year 'round and it backs up to National Forest land that is otherwise difficult to access. A little scouting of it last year revealed that it too holds bear. LOTS of berry bushes, and a small stream too... :) Really want him to get a bear, but I'd be happy to take another one this year as well.

Guy
Nice bear!
Good luck to you and the new hunter , Guy!

I wonder if the lady that was killed by the bear was feeding it or if it was just eating her cats food? Once you start feeding them they relate humans to food and become dangerous. Either way, we make sure we don't leave any catfood or dogfood out over night as we not only have bears in the area, but also mt. lions, bobcats, coyotes, raccoons and skunks. And a rattlesnake on the front porch every once in a while.

I have seen issues with state parks in some places (looking at you Virginia and Maryland), especially in places where the parks back up to national forest/ park lands. No hunting is allowed in the parks, there is plentiful garbage, and typically some good places to get away from people. So, you get bears with no fear of people poking through parking lot dumpsters and wandering into campsites, and fairly clueless people thrown into the mix.

Back