Win 70 PF 280 AI

Yeah I gotta keep reminding myself of that... My 257 AI brass has lasted FOREVER, so 150 of these will hold me over for many, many yrs.

This is just such a friggin PITA!!!

Yeah but once you figure out the die setting you should be in great shape. Does Nosler 280 Ackley brass work Eric?

Can't wait to hear how this rifle performs. Something about the 7mms always keeps me looking for the next one!

No idea on the Nosler stuff but I heard so much about it possibly not fitting that I decided to save the expense & fireform.

See where that got me... :roll:

Thanks man I'm friggin GEEKED!

Almost thinkin bout neckin down some Lake City 06 brass just to save the step. So danged lazy I know :oops: .

efw":2i70q5su said:
No idea on the Nosler stuff but I heard so much about it possibly not fitting that I decided to save the expense & fireform.

See where that got me... :roll:

Man, I am betting someone has a couple you could try?

Eric,

I have a box of Nosler 280 AI brass.

JD338

Seated some 174 FMJ/BTs LONG for hard-jam & got cases formed. Finally made it to range for hunting bullet testing and was VERY pleased w/ the results!

Here are 2 groups from my exploratory "find pressure" outing. 62, 63, 63.5, & 64 gr RL-22 (4 shots/ea) w/ CCI-200s in freshly formed R-P 7mm Exp brass & 145 gr Speer BTSP (top) & 140 TTSX (both @ 100 yds):

Needless to say I am enthused!

Next up for testing are 150 NBT (my intended primary bullet) & 154 gr Interbonds.

I tried 168 NCCs & RS-Mag w/ ok results (WAY more recoil) & 7828 & 160 HPBT Gamekings which I won't be pursuing further; turkey patterns more than groups.

I'll likely roll 63-64 gr RL22 & 140 TSXs for hunting & same w/ 145 Speers for blasting. Love tinkering so I'll try others; thinking the 150 NBT will be a fantastic all around bullet for all hunting, but for close-in Michigan stuff I'll likely crush shoulders w/ TSX :) !!

I think the 150 BT should be super man. Looks like you've got that rifle sorted out!

Very nice Eric.

DrMike":2iuqh0zi said:
That is a fine load; itl work.

Thanks but there isn't a load there; each group is one shot with increasing amounts of propellent with the respective projectile. 62, 63, 63.5, & 64 gr w/ Speer BTSP on top & TSX on bottom! Never realized how small a variation one could see in such a wide spread! I am even quite positive AI pulled that flyer from the TSX group.

The rifle has a VERY long throat so I am anticipating I'll try out 63.5 & 64 w/ each bullet in 3-shot groups.

Pretty exciting.

Eric,

take a look at the 150 gr ABLR for all around hunting. 61.o grs RL 22 is getting me 3100 fps.

JD338

I might give em a try if/when I can find em, but not sure what advantage they hold over 150 NBT given my ranges (not over 400).

Any chance you'd want to trade some for factory 1st custom comp 168s?

DrMike":74k9ako5 said:
Very nice, Eric. A rifle is always a work in progress; this one appears to fulfil that promise. I chuckle at your description of the butt pad (so-called). All mine are changed out as I get them. I believe it looks pretty skookum.

No kidding. Who at USRA thought it was a good idea to put a hard, sub-1/2" pad on a .300 RUM like mine?

Nice rig, sir!

Very nice. And I agree with what JD338 said. If you ever want to reach the full potential of that rig, you'll be glad for that long throat. I'm paying extra for a long throat. I gave my builder some LRABs and some Bergers to play with. If your chamber is cut to the new SAAMI spec then the Nosler ammo should work fine.
I chose fire forming though. Their ammo and brass are top shelf but very pricey. I found some Hornady .280 brass on sale for cheap and stocked up on that.
What ever you choose though. best get on it. Hunting season seems like a long way off right now but it will be upon us before we know it.

Back