Winter 270 project done

Feb 18, 2011
I have a fixation with the 270 winchester and both .375's (ruger/h&h) so to feed that I wanted to build a nice .270 for my winter project.

I found a AAA English Walnut stock at Richards Microfits. It was in the leftover/extras for $179.00 and I had a $80.00 credit on tab so I basically got the stock for a $100.00.

Found a Weatherby Vanguard .270 on the local classifieds in good shape, clean barrel, and really really good factory trigger - i offered $300.00 and it was mine.

Love the original Burris FF scopes - found a 3-9x40 on ebay and won the bid for $120.00. Bought a set of bases and burris zee rings for another $35.00.

So with sand paper and tru oil finish and glass bedding I am basically bout $600.00 into this rifle and yesterday had a relative offer me $1000.00 (thought i bought a custom rifle) - Course I turned them down as I really am liking this rifle. Going to load up some 130 nosler partitions and see what she can do.

Attachments

• 270-1.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 830
  • 270-2.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 830
Beautiful rifle, congratulations buddy.
I think the 130 gr PT is THE bullet for the 270 Win.

JD338

That is sweet. I have a buddy with a vanguard .270. The action is smooth as silk. His will spit 130,s out at 3100 easy. That 24 inch barrel helps. I think you have a fine rifle for your efforts

Very nice, and you did it on a budget also which makes it sweeter. Great job. When does the load testing start??

You've performed some beautiful work. Congratulations on a very fine rifle that is quite handsome.

You have done very well my friend.

Now put her trough her paces.

That is a great looking rifle :) & it is one of the best calibers you can shoot :wink: at least in my humble opinion.
You will find the 130gr AB to be a fine bullet and it will take most game in NA.
Blessings,
Dan

And the range report will be posted on...........................................

Nice .270! I am also very fond of my .270 Win Model 70 and have hunted that particular rifle for 40 years. That stock reminds me of the old commercial FN Mauser actioned, 300 H&R rifles. The stock had that same roll over comb and stock shaping. I had an H&R 300 in .270 back in the 1970's and your rifle looks like it, stock grain and color and shape. Nice job on the stock, it does have a lot of class.

Back