Working a load, How to?

Nandy

Beginner
Nov 27, 2005
I think that I should load at least 3 to 4 rounds for each powder weight, then the powder will start right at the middle of the min/max charge, but then how many grains should I go up/down? How big of an increment in the powder between the loads? I am talking about 30-06 150 gr Silver Ballistic Tips. Does anybody know any webpage with this information? Also I want to find out the inches/turns my rifle has in order to find out what bullet weight I should be using. I read about using my cleaning rod for this but I wonder if there is a better way. Is there a chart where I can find the ideal load depending on barrel length, inches/turns and caliber?
So many questions, so little time...

Thanks in advance!

You can load up 3 at a time for normal hunting accuracy. Example being the minimum load is 48g, and the max is 52g. You would load up 3 each with each charge for a total of 18 shots. There would be 6 test loads. The 150g CTBT is a very accurate bullet. I played with it a bit in my 300 RUM and shot 2 good groups with it each time I shot at 800 yards. One group was 3.5" the other was 5". Just a little bit of a barrel burner to keep shooting at 3650fps IMO. But a great LR deer bullet.

Every single rifle is different.

I just reloaded some 180 grain Partition for my 300 Weatherby, so I'll use that as an example.

Remove the bolt. Using a stoney point OAL guage (with a modified case attached) I insert the case until it stops in the chamber, then ram a bullet through the case until it hits the lands. I take this measurement (from bolt face to lands). Now, in a Weatherby, they generally have 'freebore' or a really long throat. So it is generally not possible to seat a bullet even remotely close to the lands. In this case, I seated the bullets to a depth that would make the OAL 3.600 inches. In other calibers you would take the measurement and back it off 15/thousandths. Heck, some bullets like to even be touching the lands - but that is rare.

I reloaded 5 groups of 5 cartridges (25 total). The first 5 contained 80.5 grains of IMR7828 SSC powder (which is listed as the MIN in the Nosler guide but the MAX in the IMR guide. Weird, I know. The second group, 81.5, the third, 82.5, the fourth, 83.5, the fifth, 84.5 grains.

One of these groups is BOUND to be tighter than the others.

The winning group proceeds to the next part of the process.

In my case, I decided to seat the bullets and backing off 5 thousandths of an inch - thus reducing the overall length of the cartridge with each group of five. So, the first group was 3.600. The second group was seated at 3.595. The third was seated at 3.590. The fourth group was seated at 3.585. The fifth group was seated at 3.580 inches.

One of these groups was the winner - getting me groups at less than one inch.

If this doesn't work, or give you the grouing you desire, alter the powder charges by halves and change the OAL by 10 thousandths instead of 5.

To find the twist of your barrel, look on the manufacturers web site - they generally list them for each caliber/model.

There also may be a faster way. I haven't tried it but I may the next time I need to work up a new load. It's called the LADDER TEST and can be found at www.mikeswillowlake.com/ladder%20test.htm

Also since I'm writting this after everyone else may I recommend that you read the article on "Handloading for Hunting" by Dave Scovill in the Dec 2005 Rifle's "Handloader" Magazine. He seem to have a reasonable approach to accuracy, though I'm not sure that I completely agree with his argument about the importance of fine tuning the Bullet/Case alignment.

I like to load 6 bullets of each. That way I can shoot 2 groups of 3 shots, shooting the groups at diff times. 3 shot groups keeps it simple, reduces barrel heat, less likely to fatigue and get flinchy. I have had loads that after the first firing I considered unacceptable, and after shooting the second round of 3 shots I was amazed to see how accurate the same load could be. Its all about trial and error. Good Luck

Nandy,

Whenever I have wanted to test a bullet or powder in one of my rifles I have used the following method. I start 2-1/2gr below Max and load three cartridges with each 1/2gr powder charge up to Max. I then shoot all six loads at the same time using two foulers to start. This way I can see if one powder charge or prehaps more shows promise. If I find a load I feel is going to be a good load I then load 20 cases with that load. I then shoot two for foulers, a three shot group and then three five shot groups. Depending on the weather and temperature I will wait from 1 minute to 2 minutes between shots and from 5 to 10 minutes between groups.

By the way, I read through that entire 'Ladder Test' over the spring and it seems MUCH more tedious than the method I prescribed earlier.

My .02 cents

I do this mainly for 6.5mm and smaller. Pick the most accurate load given in the Noisler or Sierra manual. Load in groups of 5 and vary each group by .5grs. (unless it's a maximum load). Neck size about a third of the way down the neck and go at it. It almost always works for me. Most of my bullets are Sierra HPs or Nosler Bal. Tips. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Back