Freedom Arms

Dima

Beginner
Oct 25, 2011
Hello everyone I have a quick question. I recently purchased a field grade 93 in 475 LineBaugh, and would like to know what your opinions are of the manufacture?

Buddy of mine has a Freedom Arms 83 in .454, I think it's the premium model - can't remember. Doggone thing shoots very well and appears to be extremely well built. His is a high quality handgun.

It's the 83 model, sorry I've been waiting ten weeks with anticpation! :grin:

I've never seen higher quality in a revolver. Freedom Arms made a big splash with the hot .454 Casull cartridge - but it's really the quality of their work that makes those revolvers so special.

BTW - the thing was a real hot SOB to hang onto with max loads! :mrgreen: Fun too!

Never tried a .475 Linebaugh, and my .500 S&W is very big and heavy compared to the Freedom Arms 83... Am really looking forward to your reports on it, and photos of your new custom revolver!

The guy I hunted elk with some years back, has a .454 Freedom Arms revolver. He told me a story of hunting elk waaaaay up in the Wind River Mountains along with a fellow armed with a .338 Win mag bolt action rifle.

The guy he was with shot and wounded a nice bull, but it was getting away. The fellow got all excited and missed shot after shot, attempting to anchor it. Meanwhile the bull got farther and farther away. He ran out of rifle ammo, and the rest of the ammo was back some distance, still in a saddle bag on his horse. He asked my buddy if he could stop the elk - and he did so with a couple of shots from the iron sighted .454 at over 200 yards!

We were hunting elk in grizzly country. We kept our big revolvers on us all the time, or next to us, even while sleeping in the wall tent. I was particularly glad to have my S&W .44 mag (with 300 gr handloads) while we were quartering up the elk, and while I was alone, walking the elk parts down to where the pack horses could get to them, one by one. I think it was five or six trips up and down that mountain alone, while my buddy went back to camp to get the horses. The quarters were so bulky, I left the rifle down at the bottom of the hill and just had my .44 on my belt - thinking "Bear, stay away. Don't mess with me, I won't have to kill you too."

Apparently the thoughts/prayers worked. Never saw Mr. Grizzly. That trip was my first real exposure to the .454 Casull Freedom Arms revolver. Later I did some shooting with his FA, and was very impressed with the quality of the revolver, and the accuracy too.

A well built big bore revolver is a comfort in bear country. I think you're going to really like yours!

Regards, Guy

Ok so I went out and shot the it today and wow! Recoil was very tolerable with the bisley style grip. Even with hornady 400gr xtp the pistol was manageable. I will never sell this handgun. Im impressed with the quality and finish. It beats ruger and magnum research any day. BTW I looked real hard at the 460 S&W, but the gun was too heavy and long for my preference. This model has a 6" barrel making it a joy to pack! :lol:

I would like a FA revolver too. A 454 would be pretty sweet. Love those big single action revolvers. Scotty

Perhaps the one of best production revolver out there imho. Only issue(s) I have ever heard on them,,,,, somebody forgot to read the manual. Shooting oneself in the leg, and blaming the gun,,,,,well, hmmm, ahh, I guess common sense don't run deep for some. Seems lawyers have eliminated self-accountability, and accidents are the fault of the mfg. :roll: Although I cant say I remember which model that involved.

Back