Photos from concealed carry class

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Had a great group of shooters over the weekend for my concealed carry class. Everyone worked hard, was safe, and shot well. Lots of smiles too!

When teaching people who have a sense of humor, and making a correction about the terms "magazines" and "clips" :grin: Told her that "clips" were something to put in hair, so she puts a couple of magazines in her hair.... Sheesh! :mrgreen:

Good day of training!

Guy

Guy,

Looks like a great class that is very rewarding.

JD338

Great photos as usual thanks Guy. If the ground is covered with gravel I bet it was hard on the knees. :mrgreen:

Ya, we didn't do a lot of kneeling - but it was one chance when I actually had a moment to snap a couple of photos! :grin:

Plywood made a decent "sidewalk" for the wheelchair. I'm trying to get the gun club to pave part of that outdoor bay, for our members who use wheelchairs.

Guy

Guy Miner":30vp2pkb said:
Ya, we didn't do a lot of kneeling - but it was one chance when I actually had a moment to snap a couple of photos! :grin:

Plywood made a decent "sidewalk" for the wheelchair. I'm trying to get the gun club to pave part of that outdoor bay, for our members who use wheelchairs.

Guy
If you have a Asphalt paving contractor in the area who also does milling you can get the millings cheap and use them as a surface. Spread, wetted down and rolled they will set up like asphalt if done right plus they are cheaper than concrete or asphalt. The company I work for part time uses millings to in gravel drive ways and they work well even under heavy traffic as long as you don't spin your wheels on them :mrgreen:

Rodger,

That's excellent advice about the milling.
It gives me an idea for something. Thank you.

Vince

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Appears to have been a terrific class, Guy. A sense of humour goes a long way toward making learning easier. Have to say the variety of those enrolled is truly encouraging. Enjoy seeing the distaff side of life learning safe hand gunning. The inclusion of the wheelchair is really exciting.

Great class, Guy.

Questions, my wife and I took a class similar to this last year, what distance do you have your students shoot? Do you start close and then move back or shoot the same distance the whole time? Thanks

Hey, didn't see this until today. Sorry, was on a camping trip through Oregon & Northern California.

This is not a "basic" class. We shoot 150-200 rounds from various distances, mostly fairly short ranges.

I have one drill that includes contact with the target - the student physically strikes the target, while drawing, then shoots. Please folks, don't do this without a coach at first... :grin:

Then there are a lot of drills from the 3-7 yard distances. Pivot drills, step-in drills, etc... A goal of mine is to give students a set of good defensive pistol drills they can later practice on their own.

We'll work our way back to 15, and eventually to 25 yards. But the vast majority of the shooting in my concealed carry class is done inside of 7 yards. Ya don't get mugged from across the street!

Long way of saying that yes, my course includes shooting at various distances from contact to 25 yards.

Regards, Guy

big rifle man":23b5kqb9 said:
Geeeesh Guy, Nobody uses revolvers anymore?

I still use a revolver! I have a mostly nickel plated Smith&Wesson 10-6.

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

big rifle man":16i27vr5 said:
Geeeesh Guy, Nobody uses revolvers anymore?

Ya, there's been a huge shift to semi-autos over the past 20 years or so. And in recent years I'm seeing many of the compact & sub-compact 9mm's & .380's.

Revolvers that show up at my training are almost always 5-shot snub noses. Either Smith & Wesson or the new Rugers mostly. A Taurus now and again. Usually in .38 Special. Good guns!

A month or so ago I had some folks, novices mostly, show up with their spiffy new semi-autos. Most had NEVER shot a revolver, so I gave them some time on my good old S&W Model 19, with .38's. They LOVED it! I think at least one gal traded her Glock for a revolver on the way home from the class.... She said that's what she was going to do.

I still carry a revolver fairly often, though I must admit my .45 1911 and I are pretty well bonded.

Regards, Guy

I first started with my dad's semi auto .22 comp pistol. Then, went into black powder pistol, then black powder revolver. When I joined the Air Force ('87) I continued with revolvers. Then when the Air Force switched to the M9 Beretta, I did too. Up until the beginning of this year, I was a die hard semi auto guy. Then I had the opportunity of trading an EAA Witness P for a S&W Model 10-6. I've rekindled my love for revolvers. It's great to shoot!
At combat distance, I can all shots almost touching. Not so with the semi auto's I used to shoot.
Just my opinions, of course.

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

Back